Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
That is just a "drop checker". Fill the "bulb" half way with distilled or deionized water that has just enough baking soda added to give 4 dKH carbonate hardness. Add a couple or three drops of pH reagent, the type that is yellow at low pH and blue at high pH. Now, it will be green when there is about 30 ppm of CO2 in the water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is just a "drop checker". Fill the "bulb" half way with distilled or deionized water that has just enough baking soda added to give 4 dKH carbonate hardness.
I am new to planted Aq, can you explain in a little more detail, I am about to buy one of these. How do you know when you have "enough baking soda added to give 4 dKH carbonate hardness" Will R/O water work? What do you mean "That is just a "drop checker"?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am new to planted Aq, can you explain in a little more detail, I am about to buy one of these. How do you know when you have "enough baking soda added to give 4 dKH carbonate hardness" Will R/O water work? What do you mean "That is just a "drop checker"?

Thanks,

Steve
I think you would need a KH test kit.
It may be easier to buy some 4dKH water first.
GLA sells it:
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers.html

Good luck
Charles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts