Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new and struggling to achieve that peaceful plant clear water aquascaping (you get the idea) aquarium.

so i put my plants in a pot. they look like that: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-id/59187-plant-id-pics.html
(tell me if the link does not work)

I had to do a black out for the tank cos of green water. I moved the potted plants to my Q tank.
I notice debris/waste/dirt accumulating at the bottom of the pot, along with the roots and all.

Question now is. Is that healthy for the plants? I read that plants do process waste so it can actually be a source of fertilisation.

However, I also recall reading that the debris/waste/dirt can somehow clog the roots , something to do with water stagenant , nutrient flow thing (cant remember). Also I am worried bout unwelcomed guests making their home there.

If the cons outweigh the pros then I smolder small holes at the bottom of the pot to allow the debris/waste/dirt to escape...

--------

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Most folks with planted tanks do very infrequent (if at all) gravel vacuuming. Personally, the only time I gravel vac is if I uproot a large clump of plants which hadn't been disturbed in months. So over a year's span, the whole tank may get vacuumed once in actuality. So I wouldn't worry about the little bit of stuff you might be seeing in your pots. BTW, do you move your plants around that much that you have to have them in pots?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok then... i will have a peace of mind.. thanks!

well the reasons ,IMO, i have pots are:

My gravel is big (about the size of 2 to 3 peas combined together), and its not deep enough.

I am still learning about ferts so I do not wish to get soil or laterite or anything that acts as a substrate fert.

Because I am not well versed in ferts, there are a lot of algae even with my SAE. so occasionally I do a 1/20 bleach dip for the plants.

Sometimes, even after research I still get plants that I can not handle, and they eventually die off. So its easier to remove.

To summarise, I do not want the plants to be too well established because it might be a problem if I want to remove them when there is trouble or if I wan to revert back to a fish only tank.

----------------------

Nevertheless, I am still tempted to get new substrate and let the plants grow in them because having to remove all the pots to gra vac is a pain.

And I am open to suggestions, I am a newbie, after all...

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do dead bits of roots looks like? They looks like dirt to me.. cos they are brown and speck like...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts