Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home tonight after a 6 hour drive to find my 29g plant grow out tank with 3 inches of water left and the carpet soaked. This is the tank I had just put my gravid gold danios and long finned red glow danio males (fish I had just grown up) in last night and they spawned. I also had a red glow light leopard (VERY RARE) in there that had also spawned. I lost 3 of my male red long-finned glow lights and my leopard female. :( All the eggs are lost. Plants are sitting in a bowl. I also had amano shrimp and my blue berry shrimp in there. The two leopard danios and the one lone red long finned that survived and the shrimp are in my 125g tank. I sure hope it's cycled enough for the ammonia. All my briggs snails are also in there. Water is all over the carpet. I have wet vac-ed until I'm exhausted. I've used almost every towel in the house. Then tank split in the bottom underneath glass length-wise.

BOO HOO HOO! My worse loss was the red long finned danios and the leopard glow light. The LFS only gets a leopard once in a blue moon. I think I will fill the plant bowl up with water. Maybe some of the eggs will survive and will hatch. Who knows!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. How did the tank have a water leak? Hope you find some fry in there.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I'm so sorry to hear that! The carpet will probably have to be professionally cleaned (or you can rent a carpet shampoo-er). Otherwise you'll have fish-water smell coming up for the next 6 months. (I've had this happen before. ;) ).

Sorry to hear about the fish and I hope you get some eggs to hatch that might be hidden amongst the plants.

-Dave

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Oh that's horrible.

Was it a tank failure or a siphon problem? All it takes is for one little tube to come off somehwere. Ugggh.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Oh man that stinks. I think my worst disaster was CO2 malfunction. I had it going to 3 different tanks and I lost all of my fish except for a few Endlers.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Tex Gal

Sorry to hear about your disaster and fish loss. Hopefully you can salvage some of the plants, shrimps, and eggs. I don't see long fin danios here often, but I will keep an eye open for you.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the support. I took the tank back to Petsmart and they exchanged it for a new tank. I'm getting my substrate back in there pronto so that I don't loose my bacteria. Then I'll stick my filter on and plants back in and hope that I have some eggs in the plants.

After hearing some of you alls stories (Aaron -3 tanks!, oh my!!) I guess it's not so bad.

BryceM the tank bottom glass actually cracked. The only thing that makes sense is that they had the silicone uneven in the bottom frame, making it out of square and it eventually gave way. It had been set up about 3 or so months. It was on a countertop which is level.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
What a nightmare to have a tank fail and I'm so sorry you lost your fish. I hope you do have some eggs survive, I enjoyed seeing your neon long-finned danio babies.

·
Jedi
676 Posts
Thats not good. Quick thinking trying to save the eggs.

I almost had a very bad accident. I had my glass diffusor out on the ground. I walked over to the tank and almost stepped on it...shifting my foot at the last second to avoid crushing the diffusor made me lose my balance. Well I started falling over and by instinct grabbed the closest thing to prevent it. It was the top 30g in my dual tank stand. It almost fell right over with me but I quickly let go. Hopefully my vivid story makes you laugh and all the work rebuilding makes you forget about the mishap.

Take a look into why it broke. Finding the cause now may prevent another disaster.

Everything gets better :)

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Ahhhh I know your pain, I've had 4 bad floods of no less than 20 gallons each. Had to replace the under carpet padding, carpet, and insulation in the ceiling in the basement (not to mention call in professional cleaners to stop water damage).

Very very unpleasant experience, made me want to quit for good.

·
Registered
429 Posts
That sucks that this happened to you tex gal. Though it really makes you wonder about the quality of the tanks that we buy now.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Misery loves company... lets see, a few years back I had a house "guest". A friend and his girlfriend. They were supposed to watch my place for a few days while I was away . They decided to set off a bug spray bomb, and did not cover my aquarium. It killed every single fish in the tank!

And later in the same aquarium, I had the hoses connected incorrectly on the filter, and while I was away at work the entire aquarium emptied onto the living room floor. I also had a C02 tank dump its entire contents into a 55 gallon aquarium, wiping out all the fish!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Maaannnnn! YOU guys are killing me! :pound: I'm actually beginning to feel pretty happy about my disaster! :rolleyes:

Brilliant- I see an I LOVE LUCY episode there..... :doh:

Anymore disaster stories out there?:yawinkle:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts