Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disco Safari Lounge W60 x D30 x H18 cm 32 Liter

Finally back into the 'scaping game after a 5 year hiatus and it's really exciting to see how things have changed! Gear is cheaper, better, more accessible. There's even new plants! This Monte Carlo stuff is a dream carpeting plant compared to good ole HC. I started the tank out dry for a few weeks, then added water about 3 days ago.

Things are starting to settle and the plants are really perking up. That Monte Carlo is going viral and is doing a great job of laying low by hugging the substrate. The Manzanita branches have some white slime, but I've heard this is common. It seems to already be dissolving off the wood, leaving behind a super healthy java moss that I planted on top.

I'll post more pics as things develop ;)

Dimensions: W60XD30XH18CM ADA knockoff I got at aqua forest aquarium for $58

Lighting: The new Beamswork LED's are a godsent! They're cheap and amazingly effective. They even seem to keep the algae at bay.

Glass Gear: Random e-bay finds and a zoo med canister filter.

Plants: Monte Carlo for the carpet, dwarf hair grass in the back, java moss scattered around, and I don't know wha that big leafy thing is, but It's cool!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tanks look good!

Nice find on the Beamswork LED fixture. That's the first I've heard of them but seems like a decent fixture and I think I might have to get one for a 20g long planted tank I am going to be byielding soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the positive vibes! :yawinkle:

I just realized that the zoomed 501 canister filters are kinda backwards, so I switched the chambers. The intake now has a few sheets of filter wool, and the out take chamber contains the bio-beads and purigen filter bag. The system seems to be flowing even better now, so I think that was a good move. It was also nice to rinse the medium since things have settled, to expel some of the soil debris.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Disco Safari Lounge W60 x D30 x H18 cm 32 Liter

Awesome scape!! Was wondering where you found that tank...the dimensions are really nice. Just a word of caution on that Zoomed, I used to use it on a nano and it is very quiet and works wells but clogs quickly. The tubing/piping is so thin that it easily clogged with mulm and slowed down the flow dramatically. Maintenance became a hassle so I switched to a standard Eheim 2211

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Bit of a diatom breakout recently, but I've read that this is common with new tanks, especially at the end of their first big cycle. Got a few Amanos to help clean things up. It's amazing watching them eat up that hair **** like it's pasta!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnow

Can't believe I haven't heard of these awesome little guys before! I decided to that I don't want to use a heater in my tank and stumbled on these beautiful, hearty freshwater schooling fish. Seems like the perfect fish for my setup. Just ordered a small group of 7. Can't wait to see how they fit in :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes, they are very nice. They also flare like that when they are posturing alongside a rival. You'll see two of them side by side with all fins out, holding place. Keep an eye out for that behavior!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yes, they are very nice. They also flare like that when they are posturing alongside a rival. You'll see two of them side by side with all fins out, holding place. Keep an eye out for that behavior!
Thanks for the info. The pic was just an example. Here's what mine look like on day one :) Color seems a bit pekid for now, presumably stress, age, and or diet? Otherwise things seem to be going swimmingly :fish2:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts