Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It's dwarf hairgrass (eleocharis parvula) that I'm trying to grow into a subtle curtain backdrop. My tank is only 18cm/7'' tall, so the height of the grass might look somewhat exaggerated.

I've also started dosing with a new product called "Envy" from Seachem's Aquavitro line. I'm not sure if it's helping, only been using it for a week or two but I'm intrigued by the ingredients. It's got many of the same supplements that popular energy drinks contain, so that spiked my curiosity ;) After doing some quick research, many of the ingredients do have some valid scientific studies behind them. We'll see!

·
Registered
287 Posts
The hairgrass compared the White Cloud is what made me notice it. It's still fairly tall with the fish being the scale. Personally I would have looked into giant hairgrass species to provide a bit of height to the tank. As a recommendation, look to see if you like how Windelov (Lace Java Fern in some places) looks as it might fit a little better with the flow of the tank and add a texture. The dark leaves look great, but the standard Java Fern look (this is just an opinion) takes from the wood.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm really happy with how the dwarf hairgrass is coming in Tisho. The tank is only 7'' tall and the hairgrass is already 5''. It easily touches the top of the tank in a few weeks. I don't see any reason to graduate to giant hairgrass. That would be way too much for my nano.

Windelov could work, I love all kinds of ferns. The java fern has some great depth and texture at the moment, and I'm curious to see how it fills in. Maybe some Windelov in a few weeks depending on how the plants start to progress.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The dwarf hairgrass at 5"? That's nuts! Generally I've carpeted with DHG species, so this is new. The fine texture in the background is nice, but I'm curious on how it will pan out in the long run. It's generally a hard plant to keep clean as it collects stuff and in the foreground a nice regular vacuuming keeps it tidy. The 'giant' species are a little more broad. I have some outside in a pot in my mini pond and it stays fairly short for a 'giant' species. Basically tops out at 9/10" but is much thicker 'leaved" if you want to call it that. I'll take photos one day to explain it better.

What I like about Windelov is that it's lacy leaves give it a smaller appearance of sorts which fits in nano's a lot better, at least to me. There was a very very very fine leaved java fern that was thread like, even that would be interesting. Just be sure the stuff you got doesn't get too big or it might be a bit out of sorts with the nice delicate wood you have.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I didn't know any species got above 3" besides the giant species. Now I'm actually more interested to see this fill in and go from there. Keep it clean and alive!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks Tisho, I appreciate positive, constructive feedback. Your tone previously was a bit condescending. You have a lot of advice for people, but a lot of problems with your own tank as well. Gluck with the garden.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Never meant to be condescending, more so just stating an opinion. I do have issues with the main tank I flooded, never claimed to be perfect. Always looking for ways to improve or ideas.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That is very condescending Tisho. It's also you stating a "fact", not merely your "opinion".
If you assume a tone on the internet you're bound to be wrong on the assumption 80% of the time. I thought you were talking about another post I made, not the one you just quoted. In that case I was just being a little sarcastic about your comment on what seemed to be instant results of Envy product. Again, no intentions to be condescending. I posted the link because I didn't know how tall the E. Parvula actually got and figured I'd share the quick thread I found.

@Tisho

The grass in the back has been taller than the tank for a while. I'd say it's at least 7'' at this point.
Just curious, not arguing (seriously), if the tank dimensions are only 7" tall and you have what looks to be a few inches of substrate in the back as it's graded, how do you get the overall length of the DHG to be 7"?

21 - 40 of 88 Posts