Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts

Been blasting the Staurogyne- Repens with my LED plant spotlight for a few days. The growth has been immense!
What do you consider immense? Curious what growth rate this produces vs conventional lighting. (LED,MH,PC,T5)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
\Curious what growth rate this produces vs conventional lighting. (LED,MH,PC,T5)
This light is LED...so I'm not sure what you're inferring by the parenthesis, however...I consider immense more than the average rate of growth I've been seeing. The Staurogyne- Repens has been slow growing, but with the additional LED spot blast, the plant seems to be growing twice as fast.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This light is LED...so I'm not sure what you're inferring by the parenthesis, however...I consider immense more than the average rate of growth I've been seeing. The Staurogyne- Repens has been slow growing, but with the additional LED spot blast, the plant seems to be growing twice as fast.
Sorry I meant the white light our eyes see, versus these colors? Is there any reason you are using a red led for the spot, possible that the additional light is doing more than the color? I saw the graphs you posted showing what chlorophyll respond to which colors, wouldn't having a stronger light with all colors vs only red be better?

If I'm reading that graph correctly anything blue would be more effective?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The spotlight is more purple than it seems on camera. It contains a mix of blue and red led's with wavelengths in the range of 400 - 520 nm and 610 - 720 nm. These wavelengths hit right within the peak resonance of most photosynthetic pigments. - http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/43/7/1951.full

Most white LED's don't list the spectral distribution of the light wavelengths, so it's hard to know if they are hitting the plant where it needs the light most.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The spotlight is more purple than it seems on camera. It contains a mix of blue and red led's with wavelengths in the range of 400 - 520 nm and 610 - 720 nm. These wavelengths hit right within the peak resonance of most photosynthetic pigments. - http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/43/7/1951.full
Oh ok, I guess it does have more of a purple hue than red now that you mention it. Curious if a LED with far stronger diodes would be better? Perhaps a DIY using CREE Leds. If the supplementation of the spot provides double the growth, maybe adding a second strip?

Could you link the spectral distribution of the beam works light? I am trying to find but only see what color LED the light has, or is this what you meant?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Curious if a LED with far stronger diodes would be better?
Could you link the spectral distribution of the beam works light?
Each diode is 1w on the spotlight...that's fairly strong considering the circumstances.

Unfortunately I don't know the spectral distribution of the white LEDS on my beamswork panel, but here's the data on the green blue and red lights - 9x 460nm, 4x Red 620nm, 4x Green 520nm

·
Registered
544 Posts
Each diode is 1w on the spotlight...that's fairly strong considering the circumstances.

Unfortunately I don't know the spectral distribution of the white LEDS on my beamswork panel, but here's the data on the green blue and red lights - 9x 460nm, 4x Red 620nm, 4x Green 520nm
Was talking about the beam works one, I believe I read they were 0.50w each?

That is unfortunate as I was planning to compare to other LED lights. It's funny they don't incorporate more red LED lights as that article showed substantial growth under red LED vs blue LED, in cabbage anyways.

I also saw here -

how close the light is to the repens, I thought for sure the growth would have been phenomenal with the light source so close.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Someone at aqua forest aquarium recommended a beta to pair with my minnows. Woke up today with three dead fish that jumped out. Didn't compensate me either. Shady way to do business. Not even an apology....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Re: Disco Safari Lounge W60 x D30 x H18 cm 32 Liter

That is unfortunate. I have done my fair share of business with them and up until my last order a week or so ago I had no complaints.

With that said, you should have known it was a bad idea to put anything with a betta fish lol.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When it comes to Betta's not all are created equal. It's always a risk adding new fish that have known different personalities. If I were still in the business I would have at least mentioned that. That being said, they might have had much more positive experiences in the past and were just unaware of the sporadic nature of these fish being based on personality, so I wouldn't go as far as to call them 'shady'.

·
Registered
287 Posts
First off, I chose to respond to your comment on AFA further on here rather than on my tank thread, as I have no bad experiences from them and want to keep retailer bashing out of it. To keep everything for this conversation in line I've copied the quotes of our previous discussion here for reference.

I know right? Super shady! They recently recommended a beta for my minnow tank, and the next day three minnows jumped out and died. They didn't even try to compensate me or apologize for the bad advice. Not a great way to run a business. I would avoid them if you can.

Then I bought three new minnow from AFA, and one of them didn't even have a tail! Really surprised by the lack of quality control at AFA lately.
I'm going to quote my post from your thread here for reference:

Tihsho said:
When it comes to Betta's not all are created equal. It's always a risk adding new fish that have known different personalities. If I were still in the business I would have at least mentioned that. That being said, they might have had much more positive experiences in the past and were just unaware of the sporadic nature of these fish being based on personality, so I wouldn't go as far as to call them 'shady'.
Being that a company decides to increase costs to products they ship might be one thing, but giving information based off of experience (playing devil's advocate) is another. Working with animals as a business is a risk, not everything can be expected. I only say this as I had worked in the industry with decades of experience prior to working in it as a business. I'm sorry for your bad experience, but the only thing I can ever recommend to anyone that's adding a fish, do your due diligence and either ask the community or do some research as some information (product wise for sure!) is provided to staff with "corporate testing" or what I like to refer to as "sales propaganda" making it sound like fact to Mom and Pop sales staff. Fish on the other hand are based off of experience.
I literally have no idea what you're saying. Can you please rephrase?
Basically in a more direct approach of explaining what I said:

Do your research. By research I mean find the information from reliable sources as well as see what the community (local and online) have to say about it. When it comes to others experiences, take it with a grain of salt. Not every experience is pro/against something, be it species husbandry or equipment. Some people rant and rave about certain species being easy and communal where others might claim it's a species only type and should not be kept intermingled with other species. For hardware, some might rant and rave about how the Twinstar (great recent example) has changed the hobby for those who want simple algae fixes without having to diagnose the root problem, where others are skeptic.

In the case of the Betta, research on the general species would have shown you some information about the husbandry as well as the attitude of the species. Breeders will tell you that they prefer to keep these as species only fish because of a mixed attitude. You can search here, TPT, TheBettaSource and find out tons of issues people have run into as well as non-issues where they keep their male Betta's in a low current community tank. This is a risk on your own taking as information from shops can never be taken as fact these days. Also, keep in mind that Betta's are a tropical species requiring higher temps based on where they are located. You're mixing them with high flow, cool water stream species that have a total different set of requirements for temperature. Please do you're own research about husbandry before quoting spacial requirements for others as if it were fact.

The old times of Mom and Pop shops giving you all you need and nothing more is over, especially with those shops competing with the internet. A simple $3 sale on a fish that can cause issues will incur a larger sale if something does happen.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts