Aquatic Plant Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
DIY Twinstar! Apparently it's just a electrolysis...so, all ya need is a tea-ball and an old phone charger. Voila!
Neat DIY. Are you sure the mesh part of that is stainless? Also, what officially are your anode and cathode materials? The only reason I ask is that you might be releasing something unexpected into the water in the process. From digging around the twinstar DIY's over the years it seems stainless steel mesh and a titanium mesh are the go to materials for the anode and cathode. Being that the 'tea ball' is an off the shelf item for other purposes, I'd be worried that you're using two metals that would oxidize fairly quickly (based on the assumption that the frame of the item that you see reacting in your video is aluminum to make this a cheap production item for the manufacturer.) If that is the case, just keep in mind aluminum and steel react very quickly. In structural architecture and overall manufacturing it's something that you generally avoid using stainless steel hardware to connect aluminum in a humid or an environment where the material will meet water. Overtime the water acts as an electrolyte and causes an ion exchange between aluminum to the steel (creating corrosion on the steel and reduced strength on the aluminum.) Since this isn't structural, I wouldn't worry about the degradation of the aluminum, but more so the chemical bi-products of electrolysis. I'm not sure if all electrolysis byproducts are identical, so this could just be an off the wall concern, but I figured I'd at least mention it. I'll dig around too just to find out for my own curiosity.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Re: Disco Safari Lounge W60 x D30 x H18 cm 32 Liter

Thanks Z :)

It's supposed to mimic the Twinstar Algae killing machine

It splits H20 into H and 02, which allegedly destroys single celled organisms in the water column, including pesky algae. Bacteria is also sacrificed, but the bio-filter should make up for that.

I ran the rig for a few hours today, and I don't know what's going on, but my water is definitely more clear than it was before. I hear it takes about a month to see true results, and it doesn't kill full blown algae, only the spores. But who knows, the water is already more clear, and I didn't spend $100 bucks on the Twinstar, I just used what I had laying around, so yay!
Gotcha. I've seen those twinstar a few times but never really knew what they did, or felt the need for one. Curious to see if this works over time or what, I see some people praise them and others not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 88 of 88 Posts