Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jedi
676 Posts
Best thing to try that anyone can suggest at this point is to emulate ADA's placement of the pipes. That's the best starting point.

In the past I have tried huge flows and was always surprised to see that they did not take care of all the trash in the tank. I always assumed that with a lot of flow you can clean anything. That is not so. Flow pattern is REALLY important. It's some what amusing that we are starting to understand that just now.

--Nikolay
Sorry to burst your bubble but of all my equipment I own a single powerhead and never purchased a flow accessory besides eheim plastic and ada style glass. Besides the fancy verbage I am trying hard to find the incredible breakthrough here. Thanks for breaking it down for the rest of us.

·
Jedi
676 Posts
Brilliant,

If you think you have something uselful to say can you please retype the first sentence of what you just said because it makes no sense.

This time do not start with "sorry to burst your bubble". It is a cheap insult and you know it.

I'm interested in the rest of the sentence and your experience. And note - I'm not confrontational.

--Nikolay
Apparently you were able to comprehend.

Now kindly explain in laymens terms what we have all been in the dark about for years. Ive read through the pages and can only see that elaborate flow setups are not as useful as imagined and single output is more effective. Am I missing something? If so I am interested in understanding what the big deal is all about. Thats all.

·
Jedi
676 Posts
Apparently in your culture you constantly need to be cocky. Or you personally are that way. If you have something useful to say I'm interested to hear it and could care less how cocky you are. But so far I've seen only short bitter remarks.

--Nikolay
If I wanted to insult you I would have typed something different.

I thought I was quick and to the point. Since Ive gotten nothing back in the form of an answer I will assume my thoughts were correct.

What you are explaining seem to be the fundamentals of setting up and maintaining an aquarium so yes its quite simple hence my comments. No offence man.

·
Jedi
676 Posts
You have to understand I was under the assumption planted tank people were experienced aquarists. I never really thought someone would be starting the aquarium hobby with a planted tank right off the bat. You will have to forgive me for thinking we were all from the same heritage. You know golfish bowls or tanks with background, fake ornaments and colored gravel.

Filtration is very simple.

Buy Eheim
Dont over-engineer your flow config
Use oem or buy fancy glass pieces

My intake has always been in the corner to be visually pleasing more than anything. It just so happens that thats an ideal place to locate the intake.

The output flow should roll the tank. I remember messing with my output years back now I always put it on the side of the tank. Its visually pleasing and more effective. I even put aquaclears on the side.

Ive added a koralia to provide more flow once in an attempt to increase co2 throughout the tank.

The planted tank in itself is a filter. I dont really know how to explain how it works but let the natural filter do its job. Large water changes and man made filtration is counterproductive to the natural filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts