Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. Nice to meet everyone.
I have been working on setting up my tank over the last few months.
Everything is going great except....
I don't know how many shrimp I have.
There are shrimp of all sizes so they must be breeding. Neos.
Is there any way I can get them all to come out so I can see them?
I've tried different foods. I've seen maybe one shrimp eat off the "shrimp" food. I've watched a lot walk right by and not give it a second look.

·
Banned
323 Posts
I wouldn’t worry abt numbers I’d probably throw in like a big cucumber cut in half long way

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t worry abt numbers I’d probably throw in like a big cucumber cut in half long way
I've put slices in there in case the snails or ottos were hungry but it appears everything finds plenty of food except the cory cats.
Once or twice a week I put some shrimp baby food in just in case....

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Weird. Usually, they're everywhere except when there are large fish in the tank that would eat them. Put a prefilter on the intake also. You'll find some in the filter if you don't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weird. Usually, they're everywhere except when there are large fish in the tank that would eat them. Put a prefilter on the intake also. You'll find some in the filter if you don't.
Thanks. I got a sponge over the filter inlet.

·
Super Moderator
2,743 Posts
It may be something other than food. Shrimp seem to have a social aspect. They like congregating together for food. In a large tank like yours, you would need at least 10 individuals. They thrive on debris and algae, and your tank looks awfully clean.

My shrimp go absolutely crazy for Spirulina flakes. I crumble the flakes up and the shrimp all come to the front of the tank. They also eat guppy flakes floating on the surface.

How long have you had the shrimp and how many did you start out with?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may be something other than food. Shrimp seem to have a social aspect. They like congregating together for food. In a large tank like yours, you would need at least 10 individuals. They thrive on debris and algae, and your tank looks awfully clean.

My shrimp go absolutely crazy for Spirulina flakes. I crumble the flakes up and the shrimp all come to the front of the tank. They also eat guppy flakes floating on the surface.

How long have you had the shrimp and how many did you start out with?
I've had them Maybe two months. Started with 10 black rose neos. Added about 20 blue news and 6 pure black line caridinas. All the neos. were 1/4" or less when I got them. Now the ones is see are a range from 1"+ to 1/2". I see berried now and then. The caridinas I thought all died but then I seen one out twice as big as it was. Now I've been seeing two out.
There's a patch of bba growing them and the snails love to graze on. And the chola wood.
They never go to snowflake food or shrimp pellet. The males always swimming around and the females walk.
I just wish I could bate them all out at once so I knew how many there actually are.
My goal is to see shrimp crawling all over everything.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Check your water parameters and if the shrimps are good in that. Some shrimps are hardy and some require specific water parameters.

·
Super Moderator
2,743 Posts
You have a nice Neo mix and started with plentiful individuals, so genetic & social factors are not the problem. After two months, those shrimp should be scurrying around for the food you provide.

It looks like your tank has CO2 injection (bubbler on left of tank). If so, I'm 90% sure that excess CO2 is causing the shrimp to be lethargic. Sub-lethal levels of CO2 will do that for any animal and you can expect some animals to be more sensitive than others. Here's wonderful shrimp-related website on how CO2 injection affects shrimp. I've paraphrased key information:

"Shrimp are more susceptible to a rise in environmental CO2 concentration than terrestrial animals because of the lower CO2 partial pressures of their body fluids.....Elevated CO2 in water will easily reverse the normal outward diffusion of CO2 from the shrimp body. Basically, high CO2 in the water kills shrimp because they are not able to expel the CO2 in their system."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have a nice Neo mix and started with plentiful individuals, so genetic & social factors are not the problem. After two months, those shrimp should be scurrying around for the food you provide.

It looks like your tank has CO2 injection (bubbler on left of tank). If so, I'm 90% sure that excess CO2 is causing the shrimp to be lethargic. Sub-lethal levels of CO2 will do that for any animal and you can expect some animals to be more sensitive than others. Here's wonderful shrimp-related website on how CO2 injection affects shrimp. I've paraphrased key information:

"Shrimp are more susceptible to a rise in environmental CO2 concentration than terrestrial animals because of the lower CO2 partial pressures of their body fluids.....Elevated CO2 in water will easily reverse the normal outward diffusion of CO2 from the shrimp body. Basically, high CO2 in the water kills shrimp because they are not able to expel the CO2 in their system."
Thanks for the advice. I believe the shrimp are happy and reproducing seeing how they are of multiple sizes. I have nano fish, ember tetra, cpd, emerald rasbora, ottos and cory cats in there. Also I have 2 mystery snails and about 40 mystery snail babies. My wife likes to make sure the Cory's are well feed because they are always searching. I'm sure the tank in general is over feed.
At any given moment I can probably observe 10 shrimp doing what they do. Pretty sure it's never the same ones. I'm wishing there was some thing that was simply irresistible to shrimp so they would ignore all the bio film and what ever else there picking at so I could see them all out at once for a head count and general inspection of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts