Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
D

Check the APD for my post there. I have not given this planty 100%, but I've tried 4 times and had it longer than anyone else I know of.
Never looked good.
It's grown emegerent also FYI.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I can grow it, just not as a well as I'd like without really trying, submersed.

I've looked at the leaves Carlos, why doesn't it have any epiphytes and every other plant that is grown submersed has?

I know of no plant that does not have at last some things growing on it.
Light ain't it.
Nutrients ain't it.
CO2 ain't it.

The only thing else you could try is using a very rich soil mix and add a lot of NO3 etc. I tried it in soft and hard water.

I can grow the Nesaea pedicillata easily.
It's not a Ca/K issue, there is no issue with that.

I have 2 or 3 things still to try with it, but I might not care:)
I'd rather have a rare crypt than this plant.

Nice color when it comes in, but I really do not think it's meant for long term plant aquariums.

Does anyone know of anyone that's had it for more than 2 years and in large red color/size?

Not freshly supplied stuff, the same plant cutting for 2+ years.
If not, then you can scratch this plant off the list and call it a temp emergent plant.

It might be able to be grown, but you care going to have to coddle it no matter what, that much I do know.

Regards
Tom Barr

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Well when you have a nice size batch of this plant all from cuttings from your own tank after a couple of years, you let me know.
Refined or not, this plant is not even close to the same weed like level as N pedicillata, any Ammania etc, those are good relatively easy to grow plants IME.

Yes, I've had it adapt etc, had nice strong root system, decent color etc for awhile.

We will see how you feel about the plant after 1-2 years and see how your plant looks then. I could have done better with it, but heck with such a finicky plant, A senegalisis is pretty close in size, shape, close in color and grows much better.

I had this plant back in 1998, again a couple time since. I might try it again and see if I can get more health from it. May as well, I seem to be able to grow Tonia awful good which seems to give folks trouble. Not many plants left I have not grown to a high level of health. So I'll give it another try and really try this time and see.

I can always find a use for red plant:)

Tom Barr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts