Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I added ascorbic acid, vitamin C, C6H8O6, into the mix. The slow growing Hygrophila Pinatafida seem to perk up a bit. It seems like a mix of C6 makes it easier for the plants so they don't need to spend so much energy of producing various Carbon compounds. CO2 looks like a much better option though :)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just had a crazy idea on adding extra CO2 into a tank. My tank is covered, not air tight but I can exhale CO2 into the covered tank in the morning to give plants extra CO2, lol. I know indoor CO2 levels can be 3-5x more CO2 than atmospheric CO2. I can push that level by breathing into a covered tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
You can also get a lot of CO2 in the water by blowing in a air hose that goes to a little pump in the tank, or filter, and letting the pump rotor make micro bubbles of it. I used that technique when I was experimenting with drop checkers several years ago.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Interesting. I think increasing the CO2 concentration above the water should be good enough, for a little while anyway. CO2 likes dissolving into water.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts