Aquatic Plant Forum banner

DIY CO2 - 48ppm- What to do?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mattmathis 
#1 ·
**only plants in this tank NO fish**

I made a DIY co2 system last night for my 10 gallon tank. I also added on does (1st does) of excel. I followed the guidelines using the 2 liter bottle etc for the DIY co2.

It worked great. too great I guess... I tested my ph and kh and with chucks calculater I have 48 ppm. I know this is too high. What is the best way to lower it? Should I put the plants in a different tank till it goes down?

Thanks!

#2 ·
You should pat yourself on the back but not freak out a couple days from now when the bottle cools down and the alcohol starts building up and you're at way less ppm, instead you'll make another bottle to add to the rotation, then change alternating bottles weekly to stablize CO2 and avoid the algaes related to fluctuating CO2, like BBA. :)

#3 ·
Ok, I guess I should have mentioned that my ph was 7.6 when I started the co2 and 6.4 several hours later.

And like I said, I don't have fish now, but at some point I would like to add some. Is there anyway to stabilize the DIY co2 any more than that? Maybe I should go with 1/2 a teaspoon of yeast to 2 cups sugar in stead of a whole teaspoon?

Is there a diy drop checker?

Thanks!

#6 ·
Those charts assume that the only dissolved solids you have in the water are Ca and mg (I think it's mg). Anyway... most of us have many more dissolved solids in our water supply than two, so the charts aren't a good indicator. I always begin with a dropchecker and then increase my CO2 from there. It works well.

#9 ·
Doesn't KH measure ca and magnesium? Mine does... These charts have you measuring KH and ph and then determining the CO2 from them. Because there are other buffers (dissolved solids - ie. baking power is a dissolved solid, that changes ph, etc.) in the water it can skew your results. Maybe I'm missing something, but I only know to speak in laymen's terms.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.