Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
simple and easy! use cigarette head(filter) material to plug it into air tube. it works perfect with diy co2(sugar + yeast) and cylinder+ regulator. change a new material when u redo ur diy co2. if u do correctly, bubbles will be very tiny. just like glass diffuser. u also u also can use bamboo chopstick as material.

sorry if someone already post this...

enjoy,

Tim

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Very interesting! I wonder if the filter leeches anything bad into the aquarium water.... Ever had any trouble?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sir_BlackhOle said:
Very interesting! I wonder if the filter leeches anything bad into the aquarium water.... Ever had any trouble?
NEVER!!! try it by urself. u will know how it works. its fun!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know that different brands of cigarettes use different types of filters. Camels use cotton while marlboros use fiberglass. I probably wouldnt use these because I would have to buy cigarettes and after my grandfather and aunt dieing from cigarettes those bastards will never get a penny from me! I like the bamboo though. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
panaque said:
I know that different brands of cigarettes use different types of filters. Camels use cotton while marlboros use fiberglass. I probably wouldnt use these because I would have to buy cigarettes and after my grandfather and aunt dieing from cigarettes those bastards will never get a penny from me! I like the bamboo though. Thanks for the idea!
no problem! enjoy this diy. u dont have to buy. just ask ur friends who smoke. thats it. first couple times, my friends were always asking me. what the heck r u going to do with that? my answer always like just give me two heads. thats all i want. dont ask too much. hehehehe~

·
Registered
302 Posts
what about using a plain old airstone to diffuse co2? at least you know it's safe right?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I haven't found an airstone that produces fine enough bubbles. The smaller the bubbles for a given amount of gas the greater the absorption area. In other words many 1/100th of an inch diameter bubbles have much more surface area than the same volume of air in one big bubble. A good sintered glass diffuser will produce very fine bubbles that will dissappear quickly as they get absorbed into the water. Bigger bubbles float to the surface and escape into the atmosphere. Pigheaddd's idea of using a cigarette filter is supposed to work nicely too.

Regards,
Steve Pituch

·
Registered
302 Posts
Spituch, I found wood airstones to produce extremely fine air bubbles...those should do the trick...

·
Registered
739 Posts
The ceramic micro bubbler isn't too bad for CO2. It won't crumble like most regular air stones do with CO2, bubbles are acceptable size and it won't clog like the better glass or wood diffusers. I used them for years with DIY CO2.

Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
302 Posts
GP thanks for your input...so my coralife wood diffuser would eventually clog up? that's good to know so i can avoid that...

now with the ceramic diffuser...are you talking about the airstone that is white? and is glued together ceramic beads?? if so, i got tons of those! woohoo!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Giancarlo,

Thanks for the tip on the ceramic airstone. I'm not sure what to look for but I will keep an eye out for them. I am assuming that they must have a pretty smooth surface compared to a regular air stone.

Steve

·
Registered
302 Posts
okay, so just to clarify, the regular cylindrical ceramic airstones are not the ones that you use for diffusing?
ime, they seem to form big co2 bubbles htat just rise to the surface and they do get smaller, but never completely dissolve

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hubbahubbahehe said:
okay, so just to clarify, the regular cylindrical ceramic airstones are not the ones that you use for diffusing?
ime, they seem to form big co2 bubbles htat just rise to the surface and they do get smaller, but never completely dissolve
hi...

have you tried diy one? it wont cost you any, and its fun. :twisted: about airstones. umm... they wont work in my opinion. the only result i've found do the best is cigarette head and chopstick, or you can connect air tube to powerhead. let it pump co2 out.

try try try... :wink:

Tim

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all. I have cigarette head filter material in my 3 bottles and it works really well. Trust me. I'm a moss.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ok, I'm not a smoker, so i don't know what the filter looks like.....is it connected to normal cigarettes?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi. Sorry about the awful quality of the picture.
Just separate the cotton filter and insert it into the tube. Make sure it doesn't totally block the exit. Sometimes you just have to insert it several times until you reach the desired size of the bubbles.
Regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Moss said:
Hi. Sorry about the awful quality of the picture.
Just separate the cotton filter and insert it into the tube. Make sure it doesn't totally block the exit. Sometimes you just have to insert it several times until you reach the desired size of the bubbles.
Regards.
Moss,

try chopstick. you will like that better. its more longer lifetime. dont use normal chopstick. go to hobby shop. buying those bamboo/wood use for remote control airplan/helicopter. :twisted:

hubbahubbahehe,

no idea if they are same materials. try it by urself and let us know how it works. :wink:

Tim

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sorry Pigheaddd, but I just don't understand the chopstick idea... :oops:
I've searched my dictionaries for the meaning and I've only come across the "food utensil" definition... I've also checked with my living dictionary (my wife is an English teacher ehehhe), same response! My English isn't that good, are we talking about the same thing? Can you please explain? How does it work? And where are my car keys?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts