Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from work today to see my tank a slime covered mess! I found my 2 liter diy CO2 bottle laying on its side with only about 1/4 of the yeast sugar mix left in it. I think the damn CAT did it!! The tank was fine yesterday, I had just changed the co2 bottle 4 days ago. The plants and glass are all covered in slime. Any suggestions on how to clean this up. Do I have to do a compleat tear down or will water changes clear it up. Has this happened to anyone else before?
The fish seem ok except they were all at the top gasping for air but none died so far.( White clouds, Ember tetras, SAE, Amano and ghost shrimp)
I've done a 75% water change already, anything else I should do...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another reason I don't like cats. ;)

Hope all your fishies make it! I'm no expert like most others, but the fishies can't be happy if they're at the top gasping. I would suggest moving them to a hospital tank too.

·
Registered
852 Posts
There's a lot of alcohol in DIY CO2 setups. I'm very surprised your fish are not dead.

I would move the fish and do several water changes ASAP and one a day for the next week.

And, for safety's sake, go pressurized!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah yes, cat tipped over the DIY CO2 - I know the problem well... Good reason to buy pirahnas. Then pray one day the cat goes swimming :twisted:

Best way to solve the problem is to remove fish you can catch, then do multiple 100% water changes - get the water level down into the substrate. When you refill, try to hose off the plants and shake the crud loose. Then repeat...

Oh, remove filter media - it's trashed anyway and you want some good flow.

After the 4th or 5th 100% w/c its usually pretty clear. Toss in every powerhead and airstone you can find, get the rest shook loose, then the next day another couple 100% w/c's and you should be back as good as new.

Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh yeah, if you can't go pressurized either move the CO2 bottle out of the cat's reach, or tie it to the leg of the tank stand to keep it from tipping over in the future. (Get creative, you basically need "baby proof" it.)

I love the piranha idea too, but I think the fur might make a mess in the water afterwards. ;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I don't have anywhere to move the fish. They seem to be OK now. ( I think they have a hangover though) One of my Asian Ambulia got the deepest reds I've ever had it. I wonder why? Will keep doing water changes. All the leaves are still covered with gunk that is slimy to the touch but hard to rub off. The tank water is a milky white. I have a lot of work to do.
Thanks again,
Steve

P.S.--- At my local Petworld Warehouse they sell White Clouds for feeders. I couldn't believe it! They had a tank packed with them. They are for sale 12 / $1.00. I thought I would do 12 of them a favor by giving them a good home with no predators to eat them. Then I did this to them.... I guess its better then getting eaten.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts