Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for this guide. I've been running a DIY CO2 on my 23g for a month or so and have gone through 3 different mixtures (1 cup sugar + 1/2 tsp yeast, 2 cups sugar + 1/4 tsp yeast, 2 cups sugar + 1/2 tsp yeast) to try to find an ideal one. So far I've only been able to get a maximum of 15-20ppm CO2 out of it (in the first week), and the level starts to go downhill by the end of the second week (as indicated by the slower bubble rate in the bubble counter).

Questions:
- Do you find it helpful to dissolve the sugar first? I've been dissolving the sugar in hot water, let it cool to lukewarm, then add the yeast. Not sure if this really matters. I only use 1L of water BTW, since the container I use (from Red Sea Bio kit) only holds 1L.
- I've heard that some people shake the bottle every few days to help reinvigorate the mixture. Truth or myth?
- Does adding baking soda help the CO2 output level or only duration (i.e. lasts longer)? I'm thinking it might, especially in a highly concentrated mixture like I have (due to less water used).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi John,

Thanks for the explanations. My KH is 5 out of the tap, so baking soda probably won't have much effect in my case. Mixing may not help either, as the sugar and yeast were already dissolved from the get-go.

What's the highest level of CO2 that you (or anyone else) were able to achieve with one 2L bottle of DIY CO2 in a 20g?

Cheers,
-Paulus

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.