Aquatic Plant Forum banner
101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
You need to leave air at the top of the water, otherwise the CO2 would tend to lift water out just as a trail of air bubbles lifts water. The venturi on the outlet of a powerhead is not a good place to add CO2, and it is a very bad place to add DIY CO2. That venturi generates suction which would try to suck the DIY bottle contents into the tank. And, the CO2 bubbles would be too big, using that, to get much dissolving of CO2 before the bubbles float to the top of the tank.

The best way to use the powerhead as a CO2 reactor is to inject the CO2 in the powerhead inlet, so the pump rotor chops it up into small bubbles. If you remove the pump rotor and drill a few holes in each blade, the bubbles will be much smaller after going through the powerhead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sounds like a plan! thanks hoppycalif!

however, how should i point the deflector on my powerhead? Right now it's angled up about 45 degrees or so and breaks a little of the surface with a hill of water that runs up, out of the surface by a couple centimeters and then back down (just like a little hill of water that's from the powerhead) is that ok positioning of the powerhead for co2 dispersal or should i flip the deflector all the way down to 0 degrees so that it just gets pumped straight out without it breaking the surface? What if i turn the deflector upside down so the water pumps downwards? Is that a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
If you are adding CO2 to the inlet of a powerhead you will get CO2 mist out of the powerhead. That mist should be directed so it hits as many plants as possible, preferably low in the tank. I think it is a good idea to have a little ripple on the water surface, too, but I do that with the canister filter outlet. I have that outlet near the top and angled so the surface is just slightly rippled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what happens when you've made the mix, hooked it up, but realize you added a little too much water so that some of the foamy stuff got sucked into the tube and expelled into the tank? I've since taken the mixture and poured some of it out of the bottle, but as for the water conditions and the fish, how are they going to be affected? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
what happens when you've made the mix, hooked it up, but realize you added a little too much water so that some of the foamy stuff got sucked into the tube and expelled into the tank? I've since taken the mixture and poured some of it out of the bottle, but as for the water conditions and the fish, how are they going to be affected? Thanks
I would do a 50+% water change. The big bubble counter or "muck catcher" is needed to stop that stuff from getting to the tank. Also, with DIY CO2 it is a bad idea to inject CO2 in a way that will cause suction on the CO2 line.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a question. How many bottle of 2L should I use for a 30 gallon? Is one sufficient enough to produce the require amount of co2 by injecting the co2 into a powerhead. If not, should I use two and deliver it into a powerhead also? Thanks you.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
The reason for using more than one DIY bottle is to stagger the start times, so at least one is always producing an adequate amount of CO2. That keeps the amount in the water more nearly constant, which helps prevent algae from starting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I added a second 2L bottle to produce the CO2 in my 30gal tank and diffuse it through an elite mini powerhead. I measured my ph and gk a day before and a day after and the Ph is still at 7.6 and Kh at 7-8. Looking at the co2 chart...it saying that I'm producing about 5-6ppm of co2 only lol. Is something wrong?

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Yes, something is wrong! My guess is that you have a leak or leaks of CO2, so not much of it gets to the diffuser. You can buy or make a cheap drop checker to get a more accurate indication of how much CO2 is in the water.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Iiight got my drop checker in with a 4dkh solution and about 4 drops of the ph indicator. I left it undisturb for about 7 hours so far and the solution is still blue...There is no leak around the air line whatsoever, because I spray some soapy liquid on all the connections to check. So my question is....for the people that are running diy co2 on a 30 gallon, how many bottle of 2L are yall using and which method are you using to diffuse the co2? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok so after a week of fraustration, I finally got the ppm I wanted from 2 2L bottle. I took off two of my h.o.b filter and put in a magnum 350 with the outlet pointing more toward the bottom to prevent surface agitation. My drop checker is now registering green and sometime in the morning yellow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forgive me, I am new here and although I read through the thread I am a bit confused as to the correct answer to this question.

I just purchased the Nutrafin CO2 System to do some DIY CO2 for a 6 gallon planted nano. I plan to set up the CO2 system tonight, but was trying to get a clear answer on whether the glass nano diffusers on ebay work better than the ladder that comes with the Nutrafin kit? Do they just look better, but not perform better?

Also, I see some varying opinions on using check valves inline with tubing and it makes sense to me that given the nature of how the check valve works it would be useless to use one as it would still allow the mix to pass along with the gas. Am I missing something on this too? Seems to me a second bottle to "catch" the mix would be a better solution, but this may compromise the Nutrafin system's pressure?

I like the look of the glass diffusers better and they are cheap enough, but would appreciate anyone's experience that has a Nutrafin system on a small tank and whether or not they left it stock or enhanced it a bit (and how it was done.) Thanks for helping on what I am sure is a tiresome question by now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need to leave air at the top of the water, otherwise the CO2 would tend to lift water out just as a trail of air bubbles lifts water. The venturi on the outlet of a powerhead is not a good place to add CO2, and it is a very bad place to add DIY CO2. That venturi generates suction which would try to suck the DIY bottle contents into the tank. And, the CO2 bubbles would be too big, using that, to get much dissolving of CO2 before the bubbles float to the top of the tank.
I finished my DIY CO2 last night with the bubble counter syringe. This morning everything works. However there is more water in the syringe than I had previously put in? I filled it 3/4, but this morning it was almost full. I can still see the bubbles inside, it and the diffuser inside the tank seems to be working too.

What happened here? Should I be worried?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hate to necropost, but just wanted to throw this out there.

Has anyone tried using the Sugar in the Raw(its natural cane sugar instead of processed)? It's the kind that's bigger brown crystals and comes in the brown boxes at the grocery store. I used it in my mixture, and I noticed that it's been producing much longer than my regular sugar mix.

101 - 120 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.