Aquatic Plant Forum banner
121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like 3 liter soda bottles.

Purchased from my local Price Chopper grocery store (at midnight).
I don't remember if I poured the Soda down the drain to use the bottle. Or, if I let the kids finish the soda off.
If I am not careful, my family will throw the bottles out instead of recycling.

Good luck with what you are looking for.
Those used to go on sale at the dollar store for a buck, when that happened I would pour out about 2 cups, add yeast and letter rip.. There is so much sugar in the soda it was actually a cheap alternative!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ok, so i tried to set up my first DIY setup on a shrimp tank that i have. I have a few questions/problems.

I set it up last night, put the yeast and sugar in the bottom. Added 2 cups warm, 1 cup tepid water. shook it up and waited. there was no output and i decided it may be taking a while because it wasnt warm enough and lower temps = longer amount of time.

So i wake up this am and it's still not putting out anything. I do a google on "DIY co2 wont bubble" and found out i may of killed the yeast. So i mixed 1/2 tsp of sugar and 1/4 tsp of yeast into about 50ml of warm water. The yeast appeared to activate, so i added it to the previous soulution along with a half a cup of the hottest water i can. So now i have about 4-5 cups of water in the container. If i let it sit i cant really see it working at all. But if i put a desk lamp by the bottle then production speeds up to where i can hear it and if i put a light on the airstone it's going to then i can see the output. Not optimal i know but for now it's a start.

Also a question i have is. How warm should the solution stay at all times? And how can i check the temp of the water short of getting a thermometer? I'm kinda broke and a college student lol. I need to get my shrimps and breed them to make the $ to support this.

Equipment:
1 - 3 liter bottle
~6' silicone tubing
1 - airstone in HOB filter chamber wrapped in filter pad material to help keep bubble retention rate high.

If i take and put the airstone in the middle/bottom of the tank where it's visable i can see the water starting to back up the hose. clearly my reaction isnt working right.

·
Registered
930 Posts
This is the mixture I used:
1.Boil 2 cups of water from tank. For tap water ph is 8 and yeast doesn't react with that ph.
2.1 tsp of yeast per added to 1/2 cup warm water. It's up to you how much yeast you use.
3.Set this off to the side
4.Add 2 cups sugar to the bottle
5.Add warm water to the top of the soda label and top off with tap water.
Then shake. Okay if all of the sugar doesn't dissolve.
6.Add water conditioner
7.Next add pre-mixed yeast to the bottle
8.Put tubing on and shake the bottles.

·
Registered
930 Posts
How warm of water do you use? I am going off of feeling until i can figure out a better way
I boiled my water and then waited a few minutes for it to cool down. It wasn't hot enough to make tea but was still quite warm.

·
Registered
930 Posts
First I made the system and then worked on the mixture.

I started with water from my tap. I originally mixed the sugar in the warm water and then poured it into the bottle. Then I added the yeast. I didn't like the smell so I added more sugar until it smelled better. Then I read that yeast dies in ph of 8 which is what my tap water is. So I boiled some water from my tank and started over doing it the same way. Then I put half of the solution into the other bottle and topped off with tap water. Shook the bottle with my finger over the top and air came out when I took my finger off of the top.

My mixture probably has less yeast than the original mixture which I copied from http://fish.orbust.net/hookup.html

More info I collected:
Everybody has different water and this influences the your mixture.
So try slight modifications of the yeast/sugar/water ratios till find what lasts the longest for you.
Last longer if you decrease the amount of yeast
Last shorter periods if more yeast is used.
Lower yeast also means less CO2 produced per minute, but produce more consistantly over time.
Higher yeast levels will cause an initial higher burst of CO2 production with a gradually declining production over time.

To make certain that it is working test Ph before + after adding CO2.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

I don't know how far the solution is going down. That is not something that concerns me.

Before I started had Kh 1 and ph 7.2 Now I can't read the ph for it is very low. So I am adding baking soda. The fish I bought day before adding diy Co2 died. Others with low Kh have told me they have no problems but works for some doesn't always work for others. So if you don't have a drop checker you have to keep an eye on the ph until it stables out.

·
Registered
930 Posts
At the thread How many CO2 bubbles per gallon of water? found:
It's all about balancing CO2 loss and diffusion rate, plant uptake plays a small part for tanks with moderate surface agitation/gas exchange levels.
Gpodio

It is best to have diffuser near the bottom of the tank
John

Also read there that adding baking soda to the mixture helps make it last longer and keep kh stable. Thus since I have low Kh I am adding it to my solution.

·
Registered
173 Posts
ok here's my question which is better with the diy yeast

for a five gallon a ten gallon and a two gallon

the nano pollens or the ladders?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear John
I am new and very interested to try out your diy co2 . But how big is the cup of sugar ? I want to use a 5 litres container , can you guide me through on the amount of ingredient required ? I prefer to have a longer lasting co2 ( about 4 weeks , possible ? )
Thanks .:D

·
Registered
930 Posts
Tips on Mixtures
Everybody has different water and this influences the your mixture.
So try slight modifications of the yeast/sugar/water ratios till what lasts the longest for you.
Yeast decreased
Co2 last longer
less CO2 produced per minute, but produce more consistant
Yeast increased
Co2 life shorter & initial higher burst of CO2

If water is very soft, add 2 or 4 tsp of Baking Soda
then just add your yeast and top the bottle up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to use gelatin as fuel for carbon dioxide instead of putting sugar in the water with the yeast ?
In Italy is common to use gelatin in the bottom of the bottle so the sugar will be available daily step by step and not all at once as if you put sugar and yeast in the water all together.
I also use a medical "thing", actually i do not know the name in english, but they use it to feed people through a bottle when lay on a hospital bed, to count the bubble.
When I'll be able I'll take a picture of the system.
Bye.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my CO2 system.
Works pretty good but I still have to find the right amount of yeast and the right amount of Jello in the gelatin-fuel even if right now I'm using 1 Jello bag in 300ml of water with 7 tablespoon of sugar and a bare teaspoon of yeast and it looks good for my 10g tank.
No sugar and no baking soda mixed in the water with yeast, just east and water over the gelatin.
The advantage is you can see when the fuel is almost finished and prepare another bottle, so you only have to change the cap and wait some hours for the reaction to start again.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah, the picture has been taken some days ago when the Jello was less than half the original quantity and the water has turned reddish. Normally the Jello reaches a level just above the upper dot in the bottle and I add water until reaches the level you see. Pay attention not to put too much water since at the beginning the yeast expands and could "overflow" in the airline and into the tank.
Bye.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.