Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,

Just wanted to request for some guidance here-

Actually 2 days back I reset my DIY Co2 and sealed everything with silicone (even the cap and the bottle together...lol...) I'm sure there were no leaks and the unit ran great for 2 days ! Now on the 3rd day the Co2 production has completely stopped - I'm sure that there are still no leaks because the unit is connected to my eheim internal filter and the bubbles have completely stopped (even while the filter is running)... I used about a normal tea cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of Yeast...

This is really frustrating because either the yeast that i use is bad or somethings wrong somewhere... Can it be because I have'nt used baking soda ?

Just wanted to request if somebody can give me a good / reliable / tested and efficient recipe for the DIY Co2 method. Another problem is that we dont get measuring cups here so I really dont know what is actually a Cupful of sugar so it will be great if you can kindly let me know the amount of sugar to be used in Grams and yeast in a normal spoon.

I also activate the yeast by beating it in a little water and sugar in a small cup and let it 'rise' for about 10 mins before adding to the bottle.

It will be a great-great help if somebody can kindly guide me and help me run my DIY Unit.

Kindly guide me... Awaiting your kind help & guidance
Thanks and Regards
Kush
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,302 Posts
Hi nagukush,

When I did DIY CO2 for my 45 gallon I ran two bottles plumbed together with a "T". I started a new bottle about every three days. A bottle would start producing CO2 after 12 - 24 hours but the output would drop noticeably after about 3 days. DIY worked fine, but after about 3 months I got tired of mixing up the solution (and the sugar and yeast wasn't cheap). My plants had grown much better with CO2, so I eventually went pressurized.

I think that 5 days was the longest I was able to get a reasonable flow out of my bottles. I believe it had a lot to do with the volume of the bottle, the sugar/yeast ratio, and the ambient temperature. When the room was warm the bottles "ran out" faster than when it was cooler.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top