Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

in my tank i have anubais nana, vall and now pennywort and the light is a 39w T5 6700k

the light is on for long periods of time because without the light on the tank is too dark to see the bettas in it

my problem is that because the light is on for 12+ hours a day i have alot of bba and green alge in the tank and i wanted to know if i added co2 would it stop the alge from growing?
or is my only hope to not have the light on for soo long or switch to a less brighter light?

im not actually not sure what alge it is as im pretty new to planted tanks so i havnt really delt with it before

cheers

·
Registered
345 Posts
Heya, divy. Fancy seein' you here!;)

Also pretty new to this planting thing, but I'd have to say 12hrs is a heck of a long time for a photoperiod... I have mine at two four and a half hour intervals, with a one hour "siesta" right in the middle. Have introduced this timing cos I'm also dealing with a small algae problem and I'm led to believe that plants will continue to grow for two hours after dark, whereas algae shuts down immediately once there is darkness. Therefore, the plants barely notice the interruption, while the algae needs to get going again, once the lights come back on. By the time the algae is up and running, though, the lights go out again, meaning it really doesn't get a chance to do it's thing properly...

Anyway, don't you have a UV filter on those barracks? Does it not work?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
The "siesta" idea is a good one. I was sceptical at first, but I tried something that D.Walstad said she does and have had WONDERFUL results in regards to algae control and plant growth.

I have a 14 hr photo-period where the lights are on for 5 hours in the AM, then a 4 hr break, then 5 more hours in the PM. So, 10 hrs of light (a bit on the high side if you have high intensity lighting) and a 14 hour overall photoperiod. My light intensity is "medium" for what it's worth.

-Davemonkey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts