Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hoppy,

Thanks for all the reviews and being a guinea pig for this.

I couldn't resist anymore. I had to order one of the ADA knockoffs from Ebay.

One question. Does the dKH of the indicator solution need to be 4 dKH or should it be whatever the tank water is?

Thanks again,
Brian

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hoppy,

Thanks for clearing that up. This seems like such a handy device. I can't wait to get it in the mail!

Thanks again,
Brian

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got mine installed and working. The hardest part was getting the RO/DI water to 4 dKH. I think I spent about 1 hour doing this (add baking soda, more baking soda, more water, etc...). It was a little difficult getting the water/indicator in until I realized that the old pipettes from Seachem Flourish bend right around that tight curve and squirt it right in the bulb.

It is a very cool device that gives you a good indication of the CO2 levels at a glance.

Thanks for being the guinea pig and trying this out for us \\:D/ .

Brian

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK, I've been running this for a week now. I love it! At first I set it up with 4dKH. Today I cleaned it out and made a 5 dKH so that I can bump up my CO2 up to around 40ppm for some algae issues (along with Excel).

Once it's in the tank and working, it really doesn't take more than a hour to start to see the color change.

When I first mix it up and install it, the solution is dark blue, and it takes a couple of hours to get down to a green or yellow color. After that, it seem to respond fairly quickly.

This is a great little gadget.

Brian

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm still very pleased with mine too, but the same bubble rate entering the tank seems to take longer to change the indicator color to a good green. I can't see what, if anything, has changed, but now I get to green in mid afternoon or later, where as I recall it was early afternoon before. My indicator KH is 5 dKH too.
I don't have this problem since I'm running my CO2 24/7. It is only slightly greenish/yellow in the morning. About an hour or so after the lights come on it's nice and green.

One thing that I do notice is that with all the green plants in my tank the color seems to look green. To get a really good reading I have to put a piece of white plastic behind it to actually see the color. I may need to move it directly under my light. Right now I've got it more towards the front of the tank?

It may not be exact, but it seems to do the trick.

Brian

·
Registered
275 Posts
You need to look at one of the pH/KH CO2 charts and figure out where you want your CO2 levels. At a KH of 4, and a pH at 6.6, you have 30ppm of CO2. At a KH of 5 (what I'm running) you have a CO2 of around 38 to 40ppm. The pH regent will be green at a pH of around 6.6.

You need to use pure water (RO/DI, distilled, etc) and add enough baking soda to get your water to whatever KH you want (this is the fun part - trust me, it doesn't take much baking soda). You then put this water in the drop checker and add a few drops of pH test regent. You want it dark, but not so dark that you can't see through it.

It will be BLUE when you first put it all together. After about 2 hours, you will see that it has changed. If green, your good. Yellow, to much CO2; still blue, not enough CO2.

I noticed in my ADA catalog, they say to use your aquarium water. This won't give you an accurate measurement because of other contaminates in the water. I guess it would give you some kind of idea?

Brian :pop2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts