Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
So what are you doing to make the "solution" 4 dKH?

So you want the "solution" in the drop checker to be 4 dKH, then you add a pH regeant so that you can "see" the pH change in the solution as it is exposed to more or less CO2 that is diffused from the aquarium through the air gap and into the solution?

I must be missing something. 4 dKH and "green" (my test kit is pH 7 at green) would only be 12ppm. Where am I going wrong?

I'm probably fixing to order one of those drop checkers from eBay. Why not?

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok, that signature file got me intrigued. I think George Bush would classify that as "fuzzy math".

First, I have no idea where the 390.6 miles³ came from. Please help me out with that. Volume by definition is length x width x height. I see a width, I see a height, but I see no length. So how did we end up with 390.6 miles³ as a volume? And what is multiplied by what to yield 5.75 x 10¹³ ft³?? (390.6 x 5280³ = 2,062,368,000 ft³)

If we assume 5.75 x 10¹³ ft³ as the total cubic feet of the canyon, given an average width of 6 miles and given an average depth of .3 miles, the length would have to be 217.0169 miles.

As taken from the National Park Service and also listed at The National Park Foundation, the canyon is 277 river miles long, an average of 10 miles wide, and a maximum of 1 mile deep. Multiplied out, that is 4.07738327 x 10^14 ft³ or 81,547.67 ft³ per person. Given an 8 ft ceiling height, my new house in the Grand Canyon is 10,193 ft² (Sign me up!). Of course, I will have no yard and no roof above my flat 8ft high ceiling. I probably won't even be able to open my frond door due to the neighbor back wall being shoved up against my house. Oh well, you can't win them all!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I still have my original batch in the drop checker. It has been in there for about 2 months now. I can glance in the aquarium and see the solution. If the solution looks blue, I know I'm out of CO2 (which has happened a couple of times). If the solution looks kinda clear (with the lights and background, etc., it looks clear), I know I have CO2 in the water.

When I do my weekly water changes, the water level falls below the drop checker. By the time I am filling my tank up again, the solution is bluish looking. It turns clear by the end of the day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts