Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just came across this little part that sounds like its made for a situation just like this. Check it out.

Also does anybody know what kind of indicator solution is used in the Red Sea Drop Checker/"Co2 Indicator"????
Isn't it bromthymol blue?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thats what I thought but figured I'd ask to be a little more confident with that assumption. Thanks

I just bought one of the Red Sea versions of the drop checker and I love it. I would almost consider a drop checker to be a must have item for anybody trying to get the most out of DIY Co2. I really like being able to adjust the "good" color to match the CO2 concentration I'm trying to achieve.
Cool. I also have that Red Sea version drop checker and last night got some distilled water and baking soda and got the kh to 4. Place the drop checker back in the aquarium and within 2 hrs it went from Blue to Very very light green almost yellow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use the redsea version too with distilled water set to kh of 5. Looks like you have a good co2 in your water, even all the bba on your driftwood is gone.
Hehe yeah the BBA is gone because I took about an hour to scrape off all the algae, trim the plants that had it, etc. What a pain in the butt! Now that my water conditions are checked and I reduced my lighting I'm hoping the stuff never grows back. What little is left i'm praying my 6 Oto's will take care of.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah according to Hoppy on the 1st page.

"Here are the color charts for the three commonly used pH test kit reagents. For the top one, it is yellow at pH of 6.0, blue at 7.2, and green (the middle) at 6.6."

You can verify this by plugging in the KH and respectable PH into the following calculator to verify your results. CLICK HERE

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, Thanx. I understand what You are saying and I actually was typing out a response when I think it clicked. So, let me see if I have this right:

X-amount of C02 will create X-ppm regardless of Kh.

The Higher the Kh--the more C02 it will take to create X-amount of change in pH.

BUT, since we are not concerned with the pH in the Tank--it becomes irrelevent. The focus is on the pH change in the Drop-Checker because 30ppm is 30ppm--regardless of Kh, Correct?

If we matched the Kh to that of the Tank--then we would just be chasing the "Color Scale" and making it more difficult, Correct?

I think I've got it--just need confirmation.....
I'm in the same boat. I'm sure someone will come here and give us confirmation. Taking a look at this chart that is from the same page as the CO2 calculator link in my previous post it does appear that the higher the Kh--the more C02 it will take to create X-amount of change in pH.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow nice job Hoppy! Should get a patent on that idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
11 Feb 07

Today I put distilled water with a KH of 5 in my Red Sea CO2 indicator but I'm having trouble deciding what my CO2 ppm is from it. Below is a photo that I just took. I can't decide if the ph in it is 6.6, 6.7, 6.8 or what.

Original

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.