Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are you using tank water, or a prepared 4dkh solution?

If tank water, stop the practice and get or make a reference solution. Tank water will give you unreliable results. The 4dkh in a drop checker must be exclusivly from carbonate, nothing else.

If you are already using a prepared solution and it was homemade (baking soda and distilled water) you may have had some moisture in the baking soda (it can hold a lot). You need to bake it in an oven (325 F for an hour or so) then weigh it out for the solution. I made this mistake and got basically the same type of results you described, a greenish blue instead of blue when I added the PH reagent. It will cause you to misread the CO2 in your tank, thinking it is high enough when it's really too low. My result ... algae bloom.

Pat

·
Registered
120 Posts
dzsenci,

The solution in the drop checker and the tank water are independant of each other. The two should test differently.

I'm starting to think you may have some misconceptions about how a drop checker works. Add to that the fact that all information reguarding them is in English. Sorry, but I can't help there but, I can offer what is concidered by many a very good post on the subject. Read it over and then get back with any questions you may still have.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2818-Drop-Checkers-CO2-Indicators-Why-and-How?highlight=drop+checker

Pat

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bottom line on drop checkers with 4dkh solution and standard PH reagent is that they turn blue initially and change to green or on to yellow acording to the CO2 content of the tank water. If your DC is already showing some shade of green initially then either the solution is not at 4dkh or your reagent is old or off in some way. Bromothymol blue added to the DC should indicate a PH of near 7.6, blue on the chart. 1 full point of PH down to 6.6 will take it to green. If you can't trace the discrepancy perhaps you can try to determine what PH your initial test indicates and what 1 full point of PH drop should show in terms of a color change.

Pat

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.