Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
My drop checker (kH approx 5) still reads green the next day before the CO2 comes on again, which I guess is a good thing, but it surprised me. I confirmed that when I remove the drop checker from the tank, after a few hours the color is a deep blue (approx 7.5-7.6 pH).

I expected that much of the CO2 would outgass overnight, but I guess I was wrong. I run my spraybar horizontally at one end of the tank, angled slightly downward, which produces a slight surface ripple.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought of a situation where these drop checkers could potentially indicate a higher concentration of CO2 than is in the tank, when using a CO2 mist application.

Suppose the mist bubbles accumulate a little pocket of CO2 in the air chamber of the drop checker. If these bubbles are accumulating faster than they can dissolve, there will be an artificially higher concentration of CO2 in that little air pocket than in the rest of the tank. Since the little chamber of water in the drop checker is very small, the CO2 levels will become in equilibrium with the air pocket a lot faster than with the tank.

A way to test this hypothesis would be to surround the drop checker with a shield that prevents the mist bubbles from entering the chamber and seeing if the indicated CO2 level changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts