Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I ordered some stuff from big al's the other day, and i went ahead and got one of the little red sea, chepo deals.... Not aspretty but appears to be the same thing ;) Just to mess around with and see how it works out, this this one will work as well as the much better glass looking ones? ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
One thing that I do notice is that with all the green plants in my tank the color seems to look green. To get a really good reading I have to put a piece of white plastic behind it to actually see the color.
Thats one positive thing about the cheap little read sea unit. The cone in the center that is actually inside of it.... Is white.... making it pretty easy to see what color it really is.... for 8 bucks i am pretty pleased with my cheapo verson ;) haha... now is it were something that I was planning to keep in my tank all the time I would go for the more sexy glass work ;) however for just playing around with it to get a feel for if it works well.... and setting up CO2 flow after getting a tank refilled... it is serving its purpos well for me....

I to am running mine with a KH inside the "bell" of 5 degress.... seems like thats where people using these are leaning..... are you guys seeing proper CO2 levels going this route? good growth, little algae, BBA not appearing nor green spot? I know my fish seem to be just fine with it.... however I cant really comment about algae or plant growth.... its been... well never since I had anything good in that area ;) lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
hii..

i just made my DIY drop checker.. with KH of 5.

but the solution is still blue!! after 5 hours and blue?

why??
Seems to me like its still blue beacause its doing its job.... That is, if it's made correctly and allowing for the two solutions to reach eq with each other. It would indicate that you dont have enough CO2 dissloved in your tank. *hint* the whole point of having a drop checker ;) to be able to moniter a general estimated amount of CO2 in the water..... if its blue not enough... green means good to go, yellow.... well Im still playing with that one, for me yellow doesnt always mean to much CO2.... but in general your fish are going to let you know about when there is too much

1 - 3 of 3 Posts