Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you looking for DIY reactor plans, here is the parts list (should be self explainatory) for the many reactors that I have built.

Most of the parts can be found at Home Depot. I got some items at www.mcmaster.com such as the 3/4" barbs and clear tubing. The airline fitting and bioballs can be found at your LFS.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Instead of using bio balls, could you use another filler inside like whiffle-type balls? I have those handy :wink: Also, how big of an aquarium is this reactor good for? Thanks for putting the plans up.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the wiffle balls. The bio balls are just there for turbulence.

Not sure how big of a tank this is good for, but I would easily feel comfortable with it on a 100-150g tank...give that it can easily load up a 30g with CO2 without even blinking.

You could always make the clear section longer than 8" if you really want to.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
I assume the water input is at "J" with the "J" end placed at the top when the reactor is positioned vertically?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That looks like a great reactor. I am currently planning my own DIY Co2 system and that reactor looks pretty simple to build. Do you use it with home made Co2 (yeast, sugar, water) or a Co2 tank.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anyone found a cost-effective alternative for the clear tube? It's $40 for an 8' section at mcmaster-carr. More than i can afford. I've looked around and the only thing i've found close is a clear mailing tube, but i don't know what it's made of and it seems a little flimsy. I also thought about buying a gravel vac and using that, but i'm looking for other suggestions if anyone has any.

·
Registered
32 Posts
SAWALLACE said:
Anyone found a cost-effective alternative for the clear tube? It's $40 for an 8' section at mcmaster-carr. More than i can afford. I've looked around and the only thing i've found close is a clear mailing tube, but i don't know what it's made of and it seems a little flimsy. I also thought about buying a gravel vac and using that, but i'm looking for other suggestions if anyone has any.
Aquatic Ecosystems sells it by the foot. Price depends on diameter.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/7010/cid/1859

68 Posts
US Plastics has a 10' minimum, however they have never charged me extra for cutting it down into something that won't incur oversize charges.

I do have 1-1/2" PVC in stock at $0.45 per inch, shipping would be $3.99 for any length up to 1'. I don't have it listed on my site yet so if anyone wants some they can email me about it. We'll be adding a number of DIY parts to our offerings shortly though, sounded like a good idea from the number of people posting about where to get things.

·
Registered
226 Posts
check the yellow pages for a plastic suppler, local , i live in Mass and i found one in RI. 40 min ride fore me and, got a 2in x 12in of polycarbonated tubeing for $9.50 its stronger than pvc and it fits the 2in 3/4 reduce bushing perfect, it can also be drilled and tap for 1/8 brass or plastic hose barr for the co2 injection

·
Registered
150 Posts
After several failed attempts at cutting up a gravel vac and using that, i eliminated my headaches and went with plain white PVC. I also remembered that Gomer has a 29gal tank and a 8" tube is too short for my +-350gph filter, tiny co2 bubbles are spraying out of the spraybar, something to keep in mind if you try and tackle this project. I'll let you know if i figure out how long to make the tube for larger filters.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts