Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I built this LED array for my 5 gallon nano tank. Based on my calculations I get around 1300 lumens of light for less than 1 watt. I built this using 90 10mm white 110000 mcd LEDs and some 110 ohm resistors, and I am powering it with a 12 volt power supply I picked up for less than $2.00 at a computer surplus place (weirdstuff in Sunnyvale).

My biggest concern is that this will be too much light!

Here is the wiring:

I was initially going to paint the inside of the hood white but because these LEDs are very directional I didn't need to. Here is a straight-on view (dang that's bright to look at):

And in the tank (when I get it planted, I will post more):

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Spent too long at Fry's huh?

Looks super!!!

I have a PAR meter, let's figure out the PAR rating on it at the bottom and the top of the water.

That will be a better indicator of plant growth than lumens.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I Picked the LEDs up off of eBay for $0.99 (+ $20 shipping). The acrylic at Home depot for about $7.00 (I drilled 90 holes in the acrylic to mount the lights in the holes). The resistors from Frys (yes Tom, Frys). I needed a couple of new bits for $10.00.

I got the idea from Nano-reef.com and was initially going to set up a small nano-reef but am now leaning towards a FW nano with shrimp (on riccia, hairgrass and glosso).

I think in all I have about $40 total in the light itself, another $20-30 in the hood (oak). I cut several 1/8" slots in the side of the hood for variable mounting heights.

The only thing I would do different next time is space the LEDs a little further apart - they are very directional and I have 15 "spots". We'll see how it looks with plants in a few days.

Tom, I just joined SFBAAPS - If I can make it to the next meeting (haven't seen a date yet) I'll ty to bring the light if you can bring the meter...

- Jeff

·
Registered
52 Posts
if the LED is round at the tip i would cut it flat as it will diverge the light a bit better instead of getting the SPOT LIGHT EFFECT. it will fill in better, as i have found that LED with the tip round concentrates light into one place.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Something tells me this is the future.................

Does anyone know how the quality of the light compares to the average CF? The quantity from these things seems unbelievable. Is there a comparison to a given Kelvin rating or wavelength? Do the LEDs come in different wavelengths?

Does anyone sell banks of these that could be strung together for large tanks? How long do these things last? I'm assuming that with such low power input that heating isn't an issue.

Very, very cool!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
guaiac_boy said:
Something tells me this is the future.................

Does anyone know how the quality of the light compares to the average CF? The quantity from these things seems unbelievable. Is there a comparison to a given Kelvin rating or wavelength? Do the LEDs come in different wavelengths?

Does anyone sell banks of these that could be strung together for large tanks? How long do these things last? I'm assuming that with such low power input that heating isn't an issue.

Very, very cool!
I did an LED experiment in the past with Luxeon's. Watt for watt, the luxeons actually gave better growth:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?t=1009

White LEDs are actually UV/Blue LEDs that use a phosophor to get white light. THis is pretty much the exact thing that flourescent lights do in concept.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to see how well these work for a few months - in the longer run if this works well, I may very well replace my lighting in my 55 gallon of 4x55W PCs (220 total watts) with something of less than 10 watts of Total Power and twice the light...Maybe I should go into large-scale production?

(anxiously rubs hands together)...

I think between my 55g, my reef tank with MHs, my 4.5K pond and my Pool I'm personally supporting several people at PG&E.

- Jeff

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems to be working rather well - however next time I will use smaller LEDs, pack them in a little tighter - and to add some balance I added some yellows to the mix (which seemed to do wonders with the color temp).

It was a lot of effort - and for the same/better bang-for-the-buck I could have gone with PCFs (but the power would have been 10x higher).

Plants are growing great though - got CO2 and working to keep up the EI though.

- Jeff

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks

Thank you. I guess the biggest advantage to LED's would be that it last really long? Do your plants pearl under those lights?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I built this LED array for my 5 gallon nano tank. Based on my calculations I get around 1300 lumens of light for less than 1 watt. I built this using 90 10mm white 110000 mcd LEDs and some 110 ohm resistors, and I am powering it with a 12 volt power supply I picked up for less than $2.00 at a computer surplus place (weirdstuff in Sunnyvale).

My biggest concern is that this will be too much light!

Here is the wiring:

I was initially going to paint the inside of the hood white but because these LEDs are very directional I didn't need to. Here is a straight-on view (dang that's bright to look at):

And in the tank (when I get it planted, I will post more):
Hi

I am impressed with your neat work. I have tried to do the similar work but I could not manage it I am trying to do it so my kids and I can go and buys stuff as part of birthday surprise. I wonde if you provide a diagram to how you fix the LED array.

i think you have connected 30 of 110 ohms on each string of 3 series of LEDs. Is that correct?
Please correct if I am wrong....

Thank you for your time

1 - 20 of 34 Posts