Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had sometime on my hands, little money, and with two scrapped dual incandecence hoods i decided to make into a DIY canopy, coming out to 4 screw in compacts as lighting. This comes out to 104 watts for a 20 gal. I figure considering the extreme restrike of screw-ins and economic aluminum the slight extra wattage would compinsate.

My question is, With the lights evenly spaced, how high should the lights be from the water measuring from the bottom of the screw-ins?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I take it you will be using glass lids between the lights and water, if so then you can place the lights a couple inches above the lids. There shouldn't be any concerns in this scenario. If on the other hand you want to have no glass lids then you really need to raise the lights, probably 6 inches would be my preference in order to avoid any splashings reaching into the 110V plug. You will also want to make the canopy or fixture well ventilated in order to stop any condensation from causing an electrical hazard, specially when lights are off. Personally though I would go with the glass lids and place the bulbs about 2-3 inches from the lids, much like most off-the-shelf fluorescent fixtures.

Here's a similar canopy a friend of mine built:

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! You guys got something to say about everything. Thanks Podio.

Currently I have platic sheets that prevent evaporation and protect splashing. However if lights get to close they start bending downward.

My other question is, Does a couple of inches make that much of a difference between life and death of the plants?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts