Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey!

I was looking into doing some DIY metal Filter Pipes (similar to these), and I was wondering if anyone had any experience? I have a friend that works at a certain large home improvement store that's helping me gather the parts and connectors needed to make these.

First: Let me explain why I think these are fantastic for aquariums, particularly for aquascaped tanks:
  • They're stronger than glass, so you don't have to worry about cracking or shattering the pipes
  • They're not clear, so you can't see the growth that eventually appears on the inside of any tubing
  • They look awesome in most tanks
  • They're much cheaper than glass pipes

Plus, I simply like the metal, minimal look that they provide:

I have the materials and tools to cut the intake slices into these tubes, and I've done work with metal before.

I'd also greatly appreciate any input on connectors, lengths, and any other customizations that would be useful to you!

I've also searched around the web, and haven't found much about metal tubing, besides the one I linked earlier. Does anyone have any other links to references?

·
Super Moderator
5,791 Posts
Interesting idea. What type of metal do you plan to use? The ones in the photo look like stainless steel or chrome-plated steel.

I have removed one sentence from your post that seemed to be a solicitation for purchase of these pipes if you succeed in making them. If you do make them and offer them for sale, any such post should go in the sale forum, and will be subject to the rules there.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Your idea sounds cool. I would be sure to make them out of a metal that won't rust, corrode, or leach any harmful substances and will stay in good shape for a long time. I found anything chrome plated ends up rusted very fast, high quality stainless might be better, although I wouldn't know if welding might mess up the allow causing it to rust at the seam. Nice polished welds would look the best imo if you can grind it to a seamless finish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! The tubing is SS 316, which is essentially marine-grade stainless. It won't rust or corrode in fresh/salt water. It's also the raw material (no plating), so no worries about chrome plating, it's just polished.

You're right about the welds! They would disrupt the stainless, and would probably allow it to rust there, if it ever started. I'm working on a connection solution that would allow the connected pipe to rotate with a little twisting action for flow control on the ouput tube. (Probably a rubber gasket with some sort of lip-type connection.)

I'm totally open to solutions for this? I've tried a few different ways already, and they're okay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried putting an indentation around the pipe, and seating an o-ring in it? Maybe expand the other pipe.
Sounds like you may have.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
You could just got with 1" or 3/4" Swagelok tubing. That way you could construct them with no welds, just tubing bends and some cuts. You could use a fitting to attach the filter hoses to the pipes when they were finished. While the steel intake looks sleek, it might be easier and more practical to incorporate some sort of pre-filter on the inlet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts