Aquatic Plant Forum banner

DIY Rimless 10 gallon

18K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  starsunmoon 
with the 55 GO AHEAD AND GET THE black top !! I think that the pain and suffering to get the glass pc in perfect on that tank is def. not worth it . I have a 90 gallon sitting there. the middle glass pc is missing, how do I know, well I can see the thick silcone and each side in the middle, somebody broke the glass, now a guy I know that makes tanks, told me that I want the glass in the middle longer than the glass from side to side. so I have to somehow bow out the glass a little with the tank on its side to do this . thankfully I do have a wooden top on thi8s tank, just no centerbrace. (yes very old 90 gallon ) I got it cheap, but I do not want it to leak or break !! I am renting , and that would for sure get me thrown out .

anyway my advice for your 55 with NO rim, is that the glass is too thin, my glass is really thick, (90) and I still do not trust it, your glass is super thin on a 55 gallon, and you will not know how much you need the top brace until it leaks or breaks, better to go with it . If you are any good at diy, then you can get the b;ack top, get some kyrlon fusion (spraypaint) *( its the best I have ever sprayed) and they have great colors, you could spray the top tp match the bottom, even a little off, I really dont belive people would notice, it is what is in the tank, not the rim.

npw for the 10 gallonl ,go for it !!! be careful def. do what the 1st reply said, sounds like great advice, and good luck !! post pics, and show us your new tank' , would also want to see the lighting you choose, I have my 5.5 with a tom rapids now, (am not very impressed yet ) but now I would like to go rimless, and find a neat light , maybye even with legs ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.