Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd have some fun this weekend, so I decided to put together a nano tank.

The almost complete lack of typical greenery in the glass is because this is PPG Starphire glass. Wonderful stuff!

Details:
1/4" starphire glass
Outer dimensions-4.5x4x6H (inner: ~4x3.5x5.75)
Assuming 1" of substrate and water 1/2" from the top-> 0.21g

Not the most perfect job on everything, but good enough. The bottom is a little sloppy on the silicone, but I didn't care cause the substrate will cover it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Tony, Nice idea.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the standard method of making aquariums was to let all the sides rest on the bottom sheet.

In NYC we have a good selection of acrylic dealers and I am looking into making a small test tank of 24 x 16 x 16 with the bottom sheets supporting the rest...

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Tony,

Its about the same size as the Azoo nano tank which is 4 inches cubed. I have two but gave up trying to scape them. I am very interested to see what you do.

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Wow, that is a pretty nifty idea;) How are you all going to supplant the light? Incandescent, fluorescent, PC, or simple sun light? Any particular plant choices?

Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
cool idea! I might actually have room for tank that size! :p
do LED's supply the right kind of light for plants? Please excuse my stupidity, I'm a beginner.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Tony, you are the DIY king! Very nice.

Did you have the Starphire sitting around? I would have probably gone with acrylic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts