Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 125gal tank and the light that came with are 2 48" fluorescent tube they have the typical wattage of regular 48" tubes (I'm not home so I can't look at the wattage). If it is important to know the actual wattage, I will look at it when I'm home.

Do I have enough light to grow low demanding plants? What plants would you guys suggest for this low light tank?
I am capable of upgrading to a high-tech planted aquarium but I think a low tech is decent enough and will save me the money I need.

Please provide any input you can, I need some advice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 30 gallon tank with 20 watts of light. I have had this setup for about 8 months, and while I have been able to keep plants alive, they grow *really* slowly. What has done best is java fern and anubia. Everything else is slowly dying, while the anubia and fern are holding their ground. If you are serious about a planted aquarium, I strongly recommend upgrading your light. I am getting ready to move and when I do I will have my tank in front of a window.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
If you want a tank that is no fuss then keep the light that is on it. These are some of the plants that will do fine in that setup. Any Anubis sp. Any Mosses most crypts. With those im sure you have over 50 different plants to choose between. If you want to upgrade lighting you will need Co2, fertalizers and have alot of reading to do.

What are your goals for this tank?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing much, just making a sort of eye candy for my basement. I know how to use CO2 and fertilizers because my 29 gal is heavily planted but it ate my tiny wallet. LOL. So I don't really think it is necessary for me to spend a large sum on my 125 especially when I've seen plenty of nice tanks with low light.

Maybe something like this would help.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/toscotoys/2008_4A.jpg
Although I could do with less foliage.
I will not be housing friendly or tiny fishes in there. It will be my 5" Jardini Arowana's new home.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VERY interesting. I can't believe I have never heard about the El Natural method. Very nice indeed. Thank you 1aquamfish. I did a little bit of reading on it but will get into more detail. If I have anymore questions I will ask again.

Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts