Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tap tests out at GH 1 and KH 15. My newly setup tank (1 week) tests out at GH 5 and KH 15.

First, I believe the GH increase is due to light dosing of Flourish (addition of Ca and Mg = increased in GH)...do you buy that?

Second, I am concerned that my CO2 levels are not where they should be. BTW...My tank PH is 7.4-7.6. I am debating the thought of gradually adding RO or distilled water to the tank via weekly water changes in some type of ratio of tap to RO/distilled. Good idea or bad idea? How gradual? Is there a need to add additional trace elements (other than Flourish) when supplementing with RO or distilled?

I hope I am allowed more than one question per post!

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am getting some pearling...bubbles on the underneath side of the java fern leaves. Also, an occasional bubble from the glosso. The pearling is not radical like I have seen in some pictures, but at least it is doing something.

When I reference the CO2 (cross index between pH and KH) it figures out to approx. 11ppm. With "ideal" being somewhere between 20-30ppm it appears that I have some room to grow. Are you saying cost/benefit? The trouble associated with mixing in a little RO or distilled will not provide much benefit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a 10g tank with a 36w compact flouresent.

The tank is a week old. I did my first water change (50%) this evening. I ended up using just my tap this time, but I was close to adding a gallon of distilled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.