Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife has a friend who is an "aqaurium expert." I mentioned to her that I'd like to get more fish, but I'm at or above the 1"/2" of fish per gallon general rule. However, she asked me if I had a pleco, and I said yes. He's a big guy, too. She then tells me that plecos don't count against this "rule". What do you guys think? My reasoning is that since he produces ammonia and feces, he should count. Obviously he won't count as much as my wife's beloved goldfish, but I think he should count nonetheless.
Now, before I get flamed, I realize that this is just a guideline, not a hard-and-fast rule. With good maintenance, I probably could go above this guideline. In other words, the "rule" is not the topic of this thread, but the question is rather or not plecos should be included in this "rule". As a second question, do all plecos get treated this way. I understand that not all plecos are strictly herbavores (algae-eaters).

-Dustin

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alright, I think I have a general consensus.

1) It looks like any fish that produces waste should count against the "rule".
2) Bigger fish produce more waste than smaller fish, but then again, they are larger and therefore count more against the "rule" by default.

turtlehead:

I originally said:
In other words, the "rule" is not the topic of this thread, but the question is rather or not plecos should be included in this "rule".
Please read more carefully.

Thanks guys,

-Dustin

Edit: My common pleco is about 7", without tail. 10" with tail. I have a 35 gallon hexagonal tank. He seems happy enough. You can see him hidden behind my fake wood, barely. Yes, my tank needs work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.