Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Well, I'm posting in el natural because that's what my tank is closes to, but probably more consider low tech. My tank does have dirt which I add some red clay for iron, I also have a filter (no carbon, just a sponge) and a heater going. My tank is pretty establish now. I've had my dealings with the initial algae bloom and with a rookie mistake did not plant enough. Since then I've planted more and fought the algae bloom through some of the good advice I found in here. Unfortunately I did lose some slower growing plant species, because algae would just cover them up and my guess would block their ability to absorb light. It was pretty bad for a while there, but I didn't give up. Okay, I'm starting to ramble now, long story short I kept doing frequent small water change and constantly doing my best to rub the excess algae off the glass and plants. And now my tank is looking healthy and clean. Where it would take 2 or 3 days to notice algae buildup over the glass is now taking it over a week and it's a very very mild buildup.

Now that you know my tanks life story, on to my question. While all this was happening, in a bucket to the side I had some decor wood that I purchased at Home Depots garden center. It is real wood, when I first dump it in the bucket they floated and after a couple of months they've sunk down to the bottom. I also tested my pH from my faucet and from the bucket with the wood. I had waited 48 hours since I refilled the bucket from the same source to test both. The water from the bucket did have a lower pH than the faucet. My concern is that while it's not technically driftwood do you think it would still be safe to add this simple wood decor from the garden center at Home Depot to my tank. Or? As my cousin brought to my attention. I don't know if the wood has been treated with any king of chemical. I have also before dumping them into the bucket, put them through a boiling cycle for a couple of days. So has anyone else done something similar? Get some cheap wood decor from your local garden center and successfully added it to your tank? Or am I just way off base here. I've finally got the algae problem under control. I don't want to add anymore issues that I can easily prevent. But on the other hand its just some basic wood? Do they really treat them?

Any and all advice would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,802 Posts
Welcome to APC!

Let me be sure I have this right--you boiled the wood for days, then soaked it for weeks doing ocasional water changes? If this is correct, I think it is safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! After my cousin throw me for a loop I thought it would be best to come to those that know and double check. And Yes I've boiled them first and then did frequent water changes in the bucket. Thanks again!::D:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts