Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Do you use the forum's frontpage?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CrowdGather has implemented a new frontpage design for their websites, including APC. It can be found from the forums page in the 'blue menu' at the top right of the page under "APC Home". It seems to have some promise to be useful for the site. Do you use the frontpage currently? If you don't, would you consider using the frontpage?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I don't really use it often unless there is something there that will give me a purpose to use it, other than that the forums is where I stick at the most! :) ... However, I do go there from time to time to read up on the interviews of the Tank of the Month submissions.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I like the new layout. However, one of the most important things for me in this site is the forum. I bookmark it and go there directly.

That said, I see interesting stuff in the front page. I'd like to see a location that has the login and password field in the home page (not the login button) where I can directly login and go to my forum.

Also, I'd like to see how many new posts have been posted since my last login.

Thank you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I haven't actually seen it load completely yet, got tired of waiting and bookmarked the forums.

There are still areas in this country, and others I'm sure, that do not have access to high speed connections without paying $75+ a month for satellite.

I won't be using it unless some form of high speed finally makes it here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record, But... I completely agree with Ravi ;)

I do glance at the front page occasionally, hoping to see a new "TOTM" or a good article like the one on John Ciotti that was recently featured. Oh, and I do have interest in what is happening with APC (i.e. server updates, Crowd Gather and such). I do however miss not seeing how many posts have been added since my last visit, and the ease at which it was to get to said posts.

The user log-in field is not as important to me, seeing as my work and home computer are one and the same.

I do not, unlike others, bookmark directly to the forums. I enjoy seeing what the APC staff has to contribute to my slight obsession of planted tank. Though I will be honest, I only check the front page 1-10 visits. The previous front page allowed me to get forum information quickly and easily. The new page does not.

Would I like to see the forum "new posts" tab returned to the front page? Yes. Will it stop me from visiting APC? No. Why? you ask...

APC Rocks!!:supz:

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Actually, I find less information that I am interested in on the "new" homepage than the "old" homepage. The new homepage may be graphically better (look better), but content is lacking and it is too "busy" and cluttered with too much "stuff".

While on the subject of changes, not all that thrilled with the increased amount of ads, especially ads to not related to aquariums or planted tanks, that I am finding on APC.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies folks. The purpose of the poll is to help determine what kinds of threads to feature on the frontpage. At this point it seems it may be more useful picking posts which may be more interesting to people new to the forum, so for the time being threads will be geared more towards tank showcases, and less towards more 'technical' posts. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I agree with Seattle, I actually preferred the OLD home page.
But oh well, can't make everyone happy all the time and things have to change, so I am not complaining about it, especially since I rarely use it, I spend all my time in the forum.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I have used it since it was created. I think its a quick way of looking at a number of topics and making a choice. Kind of like having an index to a book. However, I dont understand why it has a home button (first button on the left) that takes you right back to the page. It might be nice to change this button to take you to the old style page with the three tabs on top and the sign-in/welcome section.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I come to this site, I'm just looking to read new threads in the forum. I have to make a couple of clicks after I come directly to the forum to see recent posts. The "articles" on the front page are actually threads in the forum. It would be nice if the top part of that section was special threads, and the bottom was recent posts. If that were the case I would use the front page instead of going directly to the forum.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I have only read plant forums about 4 months, mostly where google searches would take me, right into the forums.

When I did see the front page I thought it was for some competition news for professionals, never noticed the forum buttons. Just thought, wow, way beyond me. Then as I got more familiar with where google would take me happened to hit home above the forum page and saw it was that fancy looking site.

I think the front page is very misleading. Like these folks are saying, you should make it known there are real people inside there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts