Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought ten at the store. they like the plant cover and havent torn any up yet. the "salesman" at the lfs said they wouldnt destroy plants, but i got to looking at fishgeeks.com and it said they may destroy them when they start to mate. i was just wondering if anybody had ne experience with them? they are all under 3 inches but the colors are bold. my understanding is they may be ready to mate.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I wouldnt recommend keeping ten firemouths together in the same tank. If any of them do decide to pair up they will make life hell for the rest of the tank. They can get pretty aggresive. What size tank do you have?

65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a 75 g. it has 10 firemouths, 8 angels, 3 algae eaters, 6 gouramis, 10 - 12 ghost shrimp, one huge white sailfin molly, and a few guatamalen guppies. plants are 12 valisnaria spiralis, 1 madagascar lace, 1 sword plant, 2 large and about 6 plantlets of java fern, about 40 floating watersprite(and counting, this stuff is prolific), 2 handfuls of coontail spray, 20 anacharis, 14 banana lillies, and some bulbs of something(i forget what they are exactly) i got them at walmart. ones a lily and ones a crypt. i have about 3 bulbs of each.
im going to eventually take out the anacharis, banana lilies, coontail when i find some better things to put in.
how will i know when the firemouths pair up? i will put the pair in a 10 gallon i have with those rock quarry plants i found.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If you do get a pair, you will know it. They will probably stake out a spot and chase everybody else away from it. I bet they would be cool to breed though. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts