Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Celestial pearl danios?

They're commonly available in LFS now. They were "endangered" before, but many now are captive bred/tank raised.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
They were rumored to be "endangered" but in fact, never actually were. They're pretty easy to find in bigger LFS's. If not, you can always get some from anubiasdesign, or one of a dozen other on-line vendors. I got 7 over a year ago and still have 5 of them in a community tank with congo tetras and other fairly large fish. They're boisterous enough to avoid most trouble.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I bought a group of them this spring from Corysrus and really like them. I also had some boraras, but I think I like these fish better.

Apparently they are quite easy to breed if you simply put some sort of a grid at that bottom of the tank for the fry to stay under so the parents or other tank mates don't eat them before they're old enough to fend for themselves.

Here's a pic of one of mine when it was still a juvie, but it was already showing decent color. I should take a few updated pics now that they're older.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have only seen them once locally, and I think they were under the old name. I have space reserved for them, though- a 20 long with amano shrimp, honey gouramis, and featherfin rainbows. They are OK with shrimp, right?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I've only seen them in an LFS in my area once and they wanted $7.50 each. Needless to say I still don't have any.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
The shrimp should be fine if they have plenty of cover, but the Gourami's might make a quick meal out of them since they're so tiny. Many recommend these fish go in their own tank since they are so small.
Mine have their own tank (20L), except I have one sparkling gourami in there, who isn't much bigger than them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They used to be classified as the Galaxy Rasbora, so maybe they're still referred to as such in some LFS.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I actually just saw some of them in a display at the Newport Aquarium! They weren't one of the fish with an information label, but I thought that is what they were. Now I'm sure after seeing the photo.

·
Registered
612 Posts
They are a nice little fish. I keep mine in a tank by themselves, it used to be a cherry shrimp tank but these guys put an end to them. I bought 6 originally and in the planted tank I'm up to probably 12-14 now. every few weeks some fry survive and the colony is slowly growing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought mine at a very small size for 1.99 each at my local pet store. I put them in a 50 gallon rubber feed bucket outside with lots of rocks, let some algae grow, and added water hyacinths. Can't wait to break it down. I've seen all kinds of small and medium size fry.:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts