Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has used Pond Start by Jungle Pond as a dechlorinator. My mom found it on sale for 3 bucks to treat 700 gals. I know it will work, but I'm afraid that it will eliminate the ferts in my aquarium also. Does anyone know if it will or if there's any other side effects I should know about? I don't know if dechlorinator for ponds is the same thing as it is for aquariums. Any input-no matter how small- is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scouter

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Dechlorinators used to be pretty simple, incorporating one chemical that neutralizes chlorine in water. But, then the water companies began using chloramine instead of chlorine. Chloramine is a mix of ammonia and chlorine that lasts much longer in the water than just chlorine does. The old dechlorinators don't work for chloramine.

I suspect those cheap pond dechlorinators are the simple version, so I most certainly wouldn't trust one of them to be adequate in an aquarium. Seachem Prime isn't terribly expensive and the dosage needed is very small, so a bottle lasts a long time. That is a much better buy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks hoppy, that's all I needed to know. I just was wondering if it was one of those cheaper alternatives. I guess I'll just buy something else.
Scouter

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sodium thiosulfate was the previous dechlorinator. Now, I forgot the name of what they use, but its a one hit miracle chemical. It breaks chloramine and binds chlorine and ammonia AND it will also chelate heavy metals. Your iron and other heavy metals in the water for plant nutrients should already be in a chelated form anyway so that shouldn't be an issue.

The pond stuff that I posted is the good stuff. Basically if it says that it can detoxify chloramines that you're good. Doubly sure if it says it neutralizes ammonia.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I did read the label again and it said that it stops chlorine and chloramine, and neutralizes heavy metals which I would assume means that they are put into the chelated form? So I guess I will keep this one around.
Thanks guys,
Scouter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts