Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been finding these little things in my tank ever since I got it 5 months ago. Does anyone know what it is? It looks kind've like a popcorn kernel. They've ranged in size from :cool: this smiley to as big as a pea. Will they grow? is it anything plant related? I know that it hasn't come from any plants in my tank because all I have is a java fern right now, and I've been seeing these since before I got it.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Where did you get your gravel from? They could be bulblets from plants that hitch-hiked with the gravel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you get your gravel from? They could be bulblets from plants that hitch-hiked with the gravel.
I bought the tank, including gravel from a guy on craigslist. I have to assume that the thing came with the gravel. It's just that I've had the tank for about 4 months and none of the things are growing. I am wondering if I should take them out or leave them because maybe they'll do something.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
If they aren't doing anything, I'd take them out as they may be rotting. It could be bulblets from a non-aquatic plant.

If any of them feel firm (not mushy and rotted) you could do a cold treatment (to simulate dormant conditions) for about 4 weeks in your fridge. After that, plant half in a pot or your yard and the other half in your aqaurium. See which ones start sprouting roots after a week or two and you may get an idea of what it is. (Of coarse, this may not work either.)

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
they're alien life forms. but from what my alien friend told me, they're safe. If you feed them after midnight, then all bets are off. lol:rolleyes:
This is a downright irresponsible post, that should receive careful attention by the moderators. It is just plain wrong. Everyone knows that those alien life forms are completely benign until a very young, shapely blonde enters the room. You can be absolutely safe keeping them in the tank if you can prevent any such blondes from visiting you. I, for example, would never have the slightest problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is a downright irresponsible post, that should receive careful attention by the moderators. It is just plain wrong. Everyone knows that those alien life forms are completely benign until a very young, shapely blonde enters the room. You can be absolutely safe keeping them in the tank if you can prevent any such blondes from visiting you. I, for example, would never have the slightest problem.
Thanks Hoppy. I've been misinformed all this time! Then again I'm not looking at the fish tank much if this is the situation. To be completely honest I probably wouldn't be doing much of anything with a fish tank. :cool: I would go with Hoppy on this one.;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't know if you got rid of them yet, but I had some apogenton bulbs(sorry about spelling) in my tank for about 5 mo before they actually started to sprout (I thought they were rotting under the substrate but was too lazy to go digging for them) Just for kicks, I'd put them in a jar next to the tank and see if they sprout. -it couldn't hurt anything

Scouter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts