Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed some weird growth of some of my Hottonia palustris leaves. If you'll go to the link and look at the two photos in the album titled "Deficiency?" you'll see... I circled the strange leaves.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/mizmo_naomi

(Sorry for the poor photo quality - my batteries were running out.)

It's almost like "webfoot" or what happens with Hygrophila difformis when it doesn't have enough light. In this case, I'm almost positive this is a micro-nutrient issue and possibly calcium-related. But if any of you have seen this before and are pretty sure what causes this, I'd love to know.

Thanks bunches!

-Naomi

·
Registered
852 Posts
Naomi,

Can't get the page to respond.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw, man! Well, this time, I don't know what it could be. I have it set on "public viewing" so anybody should be able to see it.

Okay. I'll have to get my husband to take a look when he gets home. Hopefully, I'll have this fixed later.

Thanks for the heads-up.

-Naomi

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We checked the link from my husband's G5 as well as Windows laptop and neither had any problem with it or the page. Oh well... I added a little gypsum in my stock solution, today, so I guess I'll eventually find out if it's Ca deficiency or not.

Thanks.

-Naomi :)

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
It is a "maybe" on calcium deficiency. I would like to see it get a little worse to be sure. If it is calcium deficiency, the new growth should be smaller, distorted, paler, perhaps whitish streaks, Let us know if the gypsum works. if it doesn't, show us another picture.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Paul! I'll see what happens in the next week or so and report back if I notice any significant changes. They also may be reacting adversely to being crammed together. When I had only 5-6 stems in there, they did great. When I separated the branches and replanted them, I ended up with about 16 and they're not growing as big or as nicely. I may move some of them into my other tank in an attempt to thin out the stand.

Thanks again!

-Naomi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts