Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
on the request of chrislewistx, that I should make a journal here is my journal.

I recently had my 10g planted tank crash, let me give everyone here some advice don't use a rod iron stand as a get up out of bed when your doctor is trying you on a new med and you don't have the streach to get out,that you call for help first. well I have at the tank go crashing wasn't able to save the fish or plants.

well today I was at the aug. meeting of dfwapc, and guest what it was on shrimp, and I always wanted to try shrimp. well I had no clue but there was door prices.

one was brought by texgal. a jbj pico with light,heater,and filter. guess who won it.:D this one is going to be on my desk away from the bed and be very careful when next to my lap top.

here is my 3 gallon JBJ pico build.

my plan is to have a mini riccia carpet,or dwarf hairgrass could it still grow and be cut down short enough to be a foreground plant, with blyax japanica as mid ground, and some type of colorful stem as back ground thinking rotella..

hard scape will be a piece of driftwood I have just got to cut it down a little bit, and figure a way to keep it from floating.

lighting is a the lighting that came with the jbj tank. stock 13w power compact light

filter I think is also stock,not sure, drinda what was used on this tank??? :confused: ??

substrate will be seasoned ada (will I still get an amonia spike?) might mix some seachem florite substrate in it too. from crowman(mike)

fish/inverts. planing for some cherry shrimp :shock::cool::D

ferts liquid. just don't use seachem florish because of the copper. what ferts do I use?

photos I will have as soon as I can take them and setup.. still need to find netting for the riccia carpet, and some rotella.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The filter is a small hang on the back that came with the tank. It will work with your shrimp. Just make sure you put a sponge or some type of screening on the end. :D Good luck with your tank!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The filter is a small hang on the back that came with the tank. It will work with your shrimp. Just make sure you put a sponge or some type of screening on the end. :D Good luck with your tank!
Thanks, yep I stop off at pet smart before going home and picked up a fluval edge filter for $1.99 now just have to clean up the desk, I was able to get the back painted and taped up the glass so the back is painted black now.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update, got me some dwarf hair grass. Thanks to tae2610 . thanks tae.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will the stock light grow dwarf hair grass or will I need to up grade the lighting? and if so what will work and look the best with out spending to much money.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds like a good plan for the Pico.

Personally, I would start with the 13 watt PC lamp that came with the Pico. If that doesn't work you could always buy a desk lamp, and use a 6500k CFL bulb. You can get desk lamps from Walmart for as little as $10. It would be easy enough to pick one up if needed.

I think dwarf hairgrass mixed into riccia would look very nice as the foreground. Likewise it seems the growth pattern of the blyxa in the midground would make good cover for the shrimp. I think your right on track. Sounds like a nice setup. You could always add a small anubias in the midground for a little extra texture.

I can't speak from experience on the ammonia and Aqua Soil question. In my opinion, I would expect the ammonia spike to be less with aged AS (aqua soil), compared to fresh. However, I would expect some kind of ammonia spike in the beginning. Your filter still has to mature, and there has to be some degree of die off from the new plants.

What nutrient routine did your use on your other planted tanks?

Small tanks are some of my favorites. I can't wait to see how this one works out. The other day I was looking at photographs by Karen Randall from a 2010 aquascaping contest in Europe. There were many small tanks, and it amazed me that if the picture wasn't labeled 1 gallon you would think it was a large format tank.

I'm sure others with more experience will contribute better technical information.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Those little lights grow quite a bit. I'd try it first. It might work fine for the DHG. I think you are OK with the used Aqua Soil. Doubt you will have much of a spike, especially since you are using riccia. That is a FAST grower. You could even leave some floating as well.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool, well up date time. thanks to tanyaq2000 I went to home depot and got a tile to keep the driftwood down, also found some steam plants. rotella macreaica(spelling?) the nice red leaf stuff, and to day I found one of those finnex light fixtures for 10.00 dollars just down the road from me. yay for fish forums. so now I can play with the lighting and use 9-25w cfl spiral bulbs in this fixture. time to plant. photos soon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Small tanks are some of my favorites. I can't wait to see how this one works out. The other day I was looking at photographs by Karen Randall from a 2010 aquascaping contest in Europe. There were many small tanks, and it amazed me that if the picture wasn't labeled 1 gallon you would think it was a large format tank.

I'm sure others with more experience will contribute better technical information.
Just to be clear, the small aquariums used for the "Art of the Planted Aquarium" contest were not 1 gallon. They were similar in size to the Fluval Flora tanks now being sold here in the U.S. approximately 7.5 gallons.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry that was my misunderstanding. I thought the description under each picture meant 1 gallon. Even at 7.5 gallons I am still amazed at their perspective.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's a big chocolate mess, and I can't find anything good to hard scape this pico with it's not a very good size to aquascape.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You could post a picture of your favorite effort so far and let others offer opinions. Maybe working with the collective you will find a layout that appeals to you.

With the plants you had mentioned I had it pictured in my head with a slightly off center piece of driftwood that branched up. Hair grass across the front, bylxa across the middle, but not all the way across the tank, and the red stems grouped around the DW. To me it looked like a triangle on the floor, and looking at it from the front it.. Or the other way I imagined it was thin branching driftwood like manzanita starting close to the bottom and getting bigger going to the other side. Taller stems behind the bigger end of the DW, bylxa scattered in the midground, and hairgrass scattered in the front to fill in.

Although, I see that in my head with my brain its easier for me to start sticking things in and go from there. :rolleyes: Think of it this way, if its a chocolate soup right now, then it only gets better from here on. Maybe leave it along for a bit, and try again later.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will just have to do that, how do I keep the riccia down, might cut some slate and tie it to that. I get thinking tonight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How did you end up securing your riccia? I didnt have any slate or tiles so I placed mine in a mesh bag I had and tied that to some lava rock. It ended up with a nice rounded top that I kind of like. When I was looking online to see how others did it I saw some that sandwiched it between two pieces of silicone mesh. Also, some used a hair net around the riccia with a rock on bottom.

I was wondering how people keep the riccia mats floating on the surface. I seemed to have too much surface movement for it to work in my tank. I'm sure it would have eventually found a place to hang out, but I didn't have the patience to wait. lol

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I love this little tank. We have two others. The size is great for immediate gratification. There are several others in the club that have one. I'll post here Bill's. Maybe others who have one of these can post so that Joey will have some ideas.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That was a great idea to post pictures of established tanks Texgal. Would you mind posting some details on Bill's tank such as substrate and which plants are used? It is a nice looking little tank, does it have any fauna?

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
Here is an old photo of the same model tank that I set up about a year and a half ago. Kim loaned me the tank. The filter and light are the stock equipment that came with it, and it is a Walstad tank of course.

Since the tank was set up the planting has become much simpler. The hair grass did not thrive, and the crypts grew much larger. The Lindernia and Limnophila also declined as the crypts grew larger because of shading. The planting is now crypts in the background, yellow anubias on the wood, pellia and Taiwan moss in the foreground. Fauna are Neocaridina shrimp, 3 spotted micro-rasboras, 2 panda cories, and multiple pond, ramshorn, and assassin snails.

And the creepy part: LEECHES! Somehow I got some non-parasitic leeches in this tank. They only eat dead animal matter--deceased fauna or frozen fishfood. When I first found them in the tank, I was completely disgusted and tried to find a way to kill them. But leeches are really hard to kill without destroying all the other invertebrates. And as I observed them I realized that they do not bother any of the other inhabitants, and confirmed that non-parasitic leeches do actually exist.

Don't worry, I won't give anyone plants out of this tank!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so most of the plants went brown, only thing doing good is the dwarf hair grass.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Via a bit of good luck I too have ended up with a 3 gallon JBJ Pico tank. I'm not sure if mine will help inspire, but here it is. I was playing around with the goodies I got and decided to try a rock based setup. Using the items I had on hand this is what I came up with.

How is it going on your end Joey? Did you have everything planted in the tank when they died off, or where they in a holding tank?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts