Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With move-in day just a week from now, I thought I would go ahead and start the journal for my new planted tank. Here are the details:

Tank: ADA Mini S
Lighting: Solar Mini M (27w)
Filtration: Eheim Ecco 2232
CO2: ADA CO2 Advanced System

I decided to get a new Mini S rather than bring my old Mini M in order to maximize space on my desk. However, I'm still going to be using the Solar Mini with the M size base because I'd rather use most of what I've already got at home. I may remove the old base and DIY my own that fits the S a little better.

Here's everything ready to go, in the old tank. The new one should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like how the tanks moss is like a waterfall and the wood is portraying out of the water fall at it's edge!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

The tank is all set up on my desk. I'm waiting for a new 27w bulb, a bag of Amazonia, and some bright sand. Everything should come together this weekend, except plants, which I will be ordering next week. I have decided on the following for this layout:

Rotala sp Green
Anubias "petite"
Moss (not sure what sp yet. can anyone tell me what moss is used here? I like the light green color)
Riccia sp Japan or Dwarf

I'm planning on a "corner" style layout with a sand foreground. The sand and soil will be bordered by stones tied with Riccia and Anubias and moss will grow attached on the wood. The Rotala will be planted in the soil "corner"

Here's a crappy phone picture of the wood placement, without sand and Aquasoil:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
As a matter of experience (as a fellow college kid) I'd suggest you don't set it up there. If you can, try to set it up somewhere in front of a whilte wall without wodden bars running behind it. You can probably find a better place that lets you easily change the background situation, but also if you put it in a place in front of plain white wall, your overall day-to-day enjoyment will increase. For me, having the enjoyable overall mood of the aquarium is important in terms of how positive I am about it.

edit: also, I find the desk as a difficult place for photo-shoots.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a matter of experience (as a fellow college kid) I'd suggest you don't set it up there. If you can, try to set it up somewhere in front of a whilte wall without wodden bars running behind it. You can probably find a better place that lets you easily change the background situation, but also if you put it in a place in front of plain white wall, your overall day-to-day enjoyment will increase. For me, having the enjoyable overall mood of the aquarium is important in terms of how positive I am about it.

edit: also, I find the desk as a difficult place for photo-shoots.
I will look into moving it. Unfortunately, this is basically the only place for this aquarium. I actually don't think its too bad; it sits on the upper shelf of my desk, not where I work, and I plan on placing a simple white background behind it. Also, the power outlets are located conveniently behind the desk, so I don't have to worry about hiding extension cords from my RA :mmph:.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Is the top shelf of your dex fixated to the desk itself? At my school, they are not and we can move the shelf to wherever we wish. While I have set up aquariums on the shelf (for many of the same reasons), I have found from experience, they have a nasty habit of being bumped into or leaned on by friends, sending your aquarium flying (along with having water spilt all over the computer). Ok, well that has not actually happened to me, but it's good to have a good sense of paranoia.

As a note, I myself am actually setting up a very small aquarium on said shelf. Very small though. 4" cube, < .27 gal

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the mini S, you can put it anywhere. Make sure thats where you want it, I have had the table that my tank is on get hit, and about an inch of water came out of the tank all over the power strip. Here is a pic of my mini s for inspiration. The only problem with the mini S is that you have to clean the glass a lot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the mini S, you can put it anywhere. Make sure thats where you want it, I have had the table that my tank is on get hit, and about an inch of water came out of the tank all over the power strip. Here is a pic of my mini s for inspiration. The only problem with the mini S is that you have to clean the glass a lot.

Great tank, styderman! I can't wait to 'scape mine... my soil and sand will be here tomorrow, and I've ordered most of the plants I'll be using. I will keep your advice in mind.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
9/5

Hardscape complete. I decided to move the tank over to my metal shelving unit to prevent any problems with water damage to my University-provided desk and my laptop (thanks for the suggestion, Steven.)

The slate will be covered with Riccia sp Dwarf or Christmas moss, and I plan on tying Christmas moss to the driftwood as well.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Looks SEXY dude. Love the new location. Whish I had one of those shelves . . . Good luck!

·
Registered
567 Posts

Hmm... that filter looks mighty familiar! Good looking tank. Can't wait to show off mines.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts