Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
You know the poofy shower sponge thingies from Bath & Body Works, etc? They are actually about 12 feet of netting coiled into a convoluted ball. They're really the cat's ass when it comes to tying down riccia, and light years beyond just fishing line. Eventually the riccia squirts out around the netting, totally hiding it.

· Registered
66 Posts
on the topic of ricca and loofa..

i just tied up a bunch of slate myself. i have it in an emmersed setup right now, but because the substrate is sloping the ricca is pretty much under water. my question is about how long after tieing do people start to see new growth through the loofa mesh, i feel it is still veryy slowly dieing back at the moment, or at least at a stand still. it has only been 4-5 days so far tho. i have a 65w cfl over a 10g. hope its not too much light.

to get back on topic a little, the loofa was definitely an easy way to tie it all down. i only fear that maybe i put the riccia on too thick. i even found a green one so the mesh stands out less. once i figd out a system it was very fast work. i was looping the string (nylon) into an open single knot and i'd put that down, then twist the mesh up around the back of the rock and then slip the rock through the single knot, tighten, and then tie another knot. people have also used zip ties with good success apparently.

· Registered
298 Posts
I wrap the rock in mesh then 4 or 5 wraps of 4lb fishing line to secure the package. I never get die-back... If yours is dying, you may not be doing what it likes. Mine pearls up very quickly in the morning under 4wpg ODNO and pressure CO2, and seems to about double in density inside of a week. I have been retying weekly since I received a very small culture to begin with. This is my first try with the mesh, but I'm already sold. Judging by the growth I was getting, I'd say 10 days, maybe two weeks before the majority of the mesh disappears?

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I decided to take a slightly different approach than I had originally intended. I siphoned out the Aquasoil portion of the layout, and replaced it with the rest of my Bright Sand to prevent dealing with the mixing of substrates.

Here is the tank, post "planting" of Christmas Moss and Anubias var "petite".

And the full set-up, minus equipment.

I have some Riccia sp "Japan" on the way, which I will be tying to slate with mesh and placing along the back of the tank behind the wood.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Latest photos:

I'm really glad I chose the white clouds for this tank. They're a really beautiful, lively fish. The riccia seems to be filling in nicely. I ended up using a laundry bag for the netting...I'd say that's college aquarium resourcefulness at its best!

· Registered
2 Posts
I am a saltwater reef nano guy who wants to try a planted tank. I have a few questions.

1) I don't see a heater on your tank. Are you heating the water? If so, how? If not, why?

2) I never see any mini tanks that have metal halide bulbs on them. I'm surprised nobody makes a small 70W double ended bulb fixture. I'd really like to have a 70W fixture suspended abovem mine.

3) Why are these tanks so hard to find in the US? Nobody seems to have any of the smaller tanks in stock.

4) Are the glass pieces fragile? Those look slick with the rimless tank. They aren't cheap. I can't imagine breaking one.

I plan on watching your thread. The tank really looks good. I love the plants mounted to the driftwood. That is going to look great when it fills in.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
That is not metal halide, it is a PC bulb, I think the guy did said 27w. That glass pieces are not fragile, all glass tank in Asia all looks like that now.

That is some good looking wood you got there Windfish... did you get it from ADA as well?

· Registered
58 Posts
4) Are the glass pieces fragile? Those look slick with the rimless tank. They aren't cheap. I can't imagine breaking one.
I can't speak for the ADA stuff but I purchased some Cal aqua and generic glassware from ebay and Orlando at Green Leaf Aquariums (Highly recommended) and it seemed sturdy enough. I think you'd have to be a bit on the reckless side to break the glassware.

· Registered
733 Posts
Awesome tank, simple layout and very clean. Good work.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi!I am beginner here) It's nice!
I also want to ADA nano aquarium to start, and already in the process =) Do not tell what the ADA is different from the ADA Power Sand Power Sand S? I do not know what to choose ... And be sure whether the ADA Green Brighty K to buy?

· Registered
60 Posts
This tank was awesome, sad it is broken down. But I believe you're on nano-reef now?

Hi!I am beginner here) It's nice!
I also want to ADA nano aquarium to start, and already in the process =) Do not tell what the ADA is different from the ADA Power Sand Power Sand S? I do not know what to choose ... And be sure whether the ADA Green Brighty K to buy?
The different sizes of power sand are for different size tanks, they are mostly used to create good water circulation under the substrate so bacteria can colonize correctly. I believe they tell you which sizes are used for which size tanks.

Brighty K is a fertilizer used in conjunction with the Brighty series, depending on the maturity of the tank. You'll be dosing Brighty K + Green Brighty step 1 in the beginning, then Brighty K + Green Brighty step 2 after a little while, then move on to Brighty K + Green Brighty step 3 once the tank is fully matured.

If you order an ADA product from ADG shop, be sure to request the free ADA catalogs from them, as they have a LOT of good information on their products and practices.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.