Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just, and still in the process of, set up a small 5 gal tank. Flourite with ferns, crypts ac mini nad 10 watts pc lighting. I was wondering when to start dosing ferts. IT was set up saturday. There are no fish yet only 1 small snail. The tank will eventually hold 5-6 rosy barb fry, atleast til they get bigger. It wil have some moss in a few days and I might try a couple stems of hyrdo or something that wil tolerate lower light. I know L. nummalaria does well 1.5 wpg on a 10 gallon. Rotalla indica grows to so maybe I'll try some of that in the well lit part. Regardless, should I be doing any dosing yet? Maybe a little flourish or K at least. Imight try to figure out a co2 setup but I don't know yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dennis, if you are doing the non-CO2 type of tank, you might want to try the Tom Barr approach. Balance critter load, feeding, plant load and no water change unless you do some prunning (takes a couple of months for that to happen) or uprooting of plants. Deep substrate coupled with mulm and ground peat at the very bottom helps to kick start the tank. Heavy planting is critical as well...might want to add some floating plants to soak up excess nutrients from fish feedings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts