Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I suggest dosing nutrients on alternating days, macros on day one, and then traces on day two and continue this routine.

This means you dose macros 4x a week and the traces 3x.
The last macro dosing should be 12 hours or so bwefore the week's water change. Then you dose after the water change and continue.

This is a fairly easy routine to follow.
You can dose 2-3 x a week also and add everything at once but I find this method works better at high light, which imply it will do better at lower light and provide even mroe wiggle room and stabilty when the lights are throttled down.

I would add 10 mls of traces for a 55 gal per dose.
Plantex should do fine if you have the Boron added also.

TMG is good also, more copper, makes the sheen on Crypts look better IME.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
livionakano said:
sllo said:
This means you dose macros 4x a week and the traces 3x
how many ppm of macros should be dosed each time?
K = 20ppm, NO3= 10ppm, PO4 = 1ppm 4x a week or divide those in 4 doses, K=5ppm, NO3=2,5ppm and PO4=0.25ppm each time 4x a week?

Reading The Estimative Index I undersand that after a water change you add K = 20ppm, NO3= 10ppm, PO4 = 1ppm in the water volume that was changed, what I dont really understand is how much should be dosed the other 3x a week.
I have exactly the same question :roll:
I add the following to a 20 gal tank per dose:

KNO3 1/4 teaspoon
KH2PO4 about 1/16th teaspoon
Traces: 5mls

You can double this amount without adverse effects, but you do not need this much.

This level will supply the most hungry of plant tanks and plant species.
Adding excess will not induce algae.
Not adding enough for the plants will cause algae.

You can throttle these amounts down if you have lower light, large fish loads etc with some trail and error, but these levels are fine for those tanks as well. High fish load tanks need more water changes(Volume and frequency).

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 2 of 2 Posts