Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was just looking for some opinions on beginning to dose ferts on a new tank. I have a 37 gallon that has been running for a couple of days and have had CO2 going from the start. I am trying to determine when to begin adding macros and micros. The tank is pretty high light (3.6wpg) and well-planted. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Jack

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would say wait a week before dosing anything. Wait for leaf size to change on the new growth or poor coloration. Then start to try and figure whcih nutrient you want to dose or if you wanna go full boar. It depends on how densly you planted originally as well. If you cant see the substrate over most of the tank i would try to start dosing everything when deficiency signs show up. If not try and you have fish try just potassium and traces.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I usually start dosing immediately after planting a tank. I've been using KNO3 from Greenlight Stump Remover, Fleet type enemas, and Flourish. Seems to work great for me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sir,
I have been dosing PO4 as KH2PO4 but, also have Fleet. I can't seem to find any dosing guidelines for the Fleet's. Nor have I found any kind of accurate measure of PO4 found in this product. Do you have any specific dosing information other than squirt a little in and re-measure the PO4? Thanks again,
Jack

·
Registered
542 Posts
Kevin,

I would dose at the start normal amounts. Newly planted plants are probably in shock a bit, but need to start growing ASAP. Not having all the nutrients probably means they have to rely on internal reserves that may be depleted. If you are providing the light and CO2, you should provide the rest, that is Fe and traces, KNO3, and PO4.

I could be wrong.

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
542 Posts
Jack,
Just a note on Fleet enema. The dropper method of dispensing it is very crude due to the size of the orifice. On the same page that Kevin referred you to look up the measuring spoon volumes. You should be able to use a measuring spoon to dispense the correct amount of solution in milliliters.

Steve

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I agree that you should begin dosing at once. If your plants are in submersed or emersed form they will definately benifit from having all the necessary ferts from the begining. Especially wiht high light/CO2. I would not go crazy wiht the doses but do make sure that the plants have enough. N-10ppm P-1 ppm K-~10ppm (don't forget to count you K from kno3 and kh2po4) start by dosing traces and fe, etc, as recomend on the bottle initially. THe traces might run low at first but that should not hurt anything.

WHat are you dosing with and what are your tank parameters(kn, gh, ph, etc, ect.)?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I offer this as a data point as I too am mildly confused as to when to start dosing. Tank has been setup for a week and few days. Initial plant stocking levels I would judge to be medium, not all space is planted, about 40% of substrate area is heavily planted, 20% light and the remaining 40% open. Fish load for non-planted tank would be considered high for such a new tank. Plants are growing, crypts and swords have new growth, Val’s have sent out runners; however, some of the original leaves are melting. Stem plants are showing increased bushiness and height with the Bacopa adding an easily measurable .5 to 1” per day. Newly planted (3 days) Glosso showing signs of growth, new white shoots have appeared within 48hrs. Fish are fed heavily with mostly live foods. Cleanup crew seems fat and happy, Oto’s all have full bellies, and the majority of shrimp have molted. Green Flame Tetra’s spawned after a 20% water change.

Initial testing showed some Ammonia that quickly went away, since day 3 it has not been measurable, Nitrite showed one AM, but by PM testing was gone. Nitrate has been hanging in at less then 1 ppm. Phosphate and Iron read 0. Substrate 80% Eco-Complete, 20% Tahitian Black Sand. pH has held steady at 6.9 with CO2 running 24/7, KH 2, GH 6.

The only algae I have seen to this point is Green Spot on the glass. All the spots seems to be in an area approx. in the middle 3rd of the front and sides. 4.1 wpg 5.5k MH source 11hrs per day with a few hours of diffused natural light in the AM.

Some caveats; UV is on 24/7 with a slow flow, tank has built in overflows and turbulent sump. Open top tank.

I figure I will start to dose at the next water change (two weeks from start) bringing the new water up to established norms. Testing daily while noting visually positive and/or negative effects until I reach a balance and become comfortable with dosing by observation.

Comments?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts