Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm a bit confused about the Iron dosing recommendations from EI and Seachem.

According to the Seachem Dosing Chart, they recommends to use 6 times per week 5mL of Flourish Iron for 200L. That's to say 1.5ppm of Iron per week (as stated by the APC fertilator)

And EI advises to drop 1.8g of Plantex CSM+B each week for the same tank, which represents 0.5ppm. (and EI is supposed to dose in large excess...)

So why such a difference ? Is there any errors in Seachem dosing chart or something ?

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Following the Seachem dosing chart works well with low to moderate light aquariums. If you have higher lighting, just dose more.

I wrote the Seachem doinf calculator in the fertilizing sticky. It hasn't worked since servers were changed.

I can send it to you if you PM me your email address.

The reason that F. Iron is suggested to dose daily is because the iron in the F. Iron isn't available for much over 24 hours.
Hi, so you think that I should dose even more Flourish Iron with a heavy planted tank, but it's still 1.5ppm/week, that's to say way more than EI recommendations (designed for heavy planted tank) !!

That's what I don't understand...

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's say that your aquarium has 170 liters of water. Seachem recommends dosing 4.5 mL of F. Iron daily along with 3.7 mL of Flourish 2x weekly.

If you are using other products along with Seachem's line; you should adjust accordingly.

Your best response may be to ask this question in Seachem's forum on various sites.
Hi and thanks for your answer.

Ok so for 170 liters, if we follow seachem recommendations for moderate light aquariums, we add per week :
0.1ppm of iron (3.5*2=7mL of flourish) + 1.5ppm (4.25*6=25.5mL of Flourish Iron) -->1.6ppm of Iron each week.

Then if we look at EI recommendations for high light aquariums :
3*1/8 tsp of CSM+B per week which represents 0.15ppm of Iron each week (thanks to the fertilator again)

--> So seachem recommends to add 10x the amount of Iron that recommends EI (which the aim's to dose a lot (too much) nutriments !).

All I want is to understand why such a difference.. (maybe the fertilator is simply wrong ?) It's really weird...

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to see that my math was good :)

About asking Seachem’s tech representatives I don't think it will help. They gonna say that their products work great, their research showed that.. bla bla bli bla bla bla... --> they don't really care about what someone recommends..

ray-the-pilot : Yeah you must be right.. it would be nice to see what are the effects of overdosing Fe on a tank...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.