Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Shortly after Greg Watson began selling dry fertilizers he offered CSM+B with extra iron mixed in to double the amount of iron. After a short time he found that the extra iron was of no benefit, so he dropped that product. I bought my CSM+B plus extra iron from him when he was still selling it and that is all I have used since then. I only do so because I'm too cheap to toss out perfectly good trace element mix. My opinion is that you don't need extra iron, but it also doesn't do any harm if you use it.

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
One thing you can be sure of: plants are not red because they get lots of iron. They are red because it is in their genes to be red. That red is most pronounced, for those plants, when they are growing best, which means ample fertilizers, CO2 and good lighting. Some plants will become reddish when stressed by having too little nitrates. I don't think I have seen anyone succeed in making plants red by adding iron, unless they are starting with very low iron amounts in the water, thus causing the normally red plants not to grow at their best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.