Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to "the big city" yesterday and was able to find most of the Saechem products except the Flourish phosphorus and Flourish nitrogen.
Can someone give me suggestions on how to dose my 55 G without those 2 things until I can get some ordered.
I was also tickled to find several nice small plants which I will be adding to my aquarium today. I have not been able to get any plants at our lousy LFS for a long time so was pleasantly surprised. I will post about what I got after I get them in the tank.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
It might be a good idea no to dose at all and keep the light intensity low (or have a short photo-period....say 4-5 hours) until you get the others. When I first started I dosed my micros without the macros for a couple weeks and I always wound up feeding algae every time I dosed.

-Dave

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the following Saechem products-Flourish excel, flourish comprehensive, trace, potassium, iron
It could take me a couple of weeks to get the nitrogen and phosphorus.
Will my plants do ok if I cut them to about 5 hours light? I have 2 65 watt compact fluorescent AGA 8000K bulbs.
Is there anything else I can do?
Most important is will my plants be ok?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Everything you have is micros except the potassium. Excel is an "carbon supplement" and sometimes used to control algae.
Your plants should be okay with that light intensity (2.4 WPG on a 55 is moderate-ish light) for only 5 hrs. (At least for a couple weeks. ) You won't get much growth, but they'll live. If you start dosing right now you'll get a major algae outbreak, especially if you go for a long photoperiod (8-12 hrs).

-Dave

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave I really appreciate your help. I have the other products on order and will wait to start dosing until I get it.
I have cut the lights back to 5 hours, will hope for quick delivery of my macro's
Thanks again
Laurie

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Thanks Dave I really appreciate your help. I have the other products on order and will wait to start dosing until I get it.
I have cut the lights back to 5 hours, will hope for quick delivery of my macro's
Thanks again
Laurie
You're very welcome! :) I went through the exact same thing when I was first starting planted.

-Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts